10 Ways to Make a Virtual Graduation Celebration Memorable
High school and college graduation ceremonies are looking a little different during these days of a global pandemic and social distancing. Some ceremonies have been canceled, others have become drive-through ceremonies, and some have moved fully online. Many of us are learning new ways to celebrate our graduates and their achievements since we can’t gather in person to see them walk across the stage.
Whether your graduate is wrapping up their high school education or about to start their career with a college degree, a virtual graduation party or online celebration is a fun way to recognize your student. Need ideas? The event specialists at Walden University, which hosted a virtual graduation ceremony in celebration of its students who earned their college degrees online, offer these 10 tips on how to make your graduate’s big day memorable:
- Decorate to celebrate: Make your graduate feel special by decorating your home from the inside out. Hang wall signs, create window art, or stream banners across your lawn. Order fun backdrops and other party props that are readily available online during the high school and college graduation season.
- Connect with family and friends: Set up a live virtual party and invite guests to join the graduation celebration online using tools like Zoom, Skype, Houseparty, and Facebook Messenger.
- Make a special playlist: Whether your graduation celebration is at home with your quarantine crew or you’re hosting an online virtual event, a great playlist with all of your graduate’s favorite songs can help get everyone in the spirit.
- Celebrate with cake: No high school or college graduation celebration is complete without a good cake. Order a customized cake from a local business or bake one at home as a nice family bonding activity.
- Dress to impress: Dress for the occasion, even if you are celebrating the graduation at home. Encourage family and online guests to dress up. And of course, the graduate should wear a cap and gown. After all, it’s still a graduation, even if the ceremony is virtual.
- Send printed invitations: Yes, sending a graduation announcement and party invitation online is convenient. But to make it extra special, send a physical printed invitation. This keepsake can include a photo of your graduate, information about your graduate’s future plans, and details about the virtual graduation party.
- Participate in a chalk walk: Get your community involved and ask your neighbors to write messages in chalk congratulating your high school or college graduate on this big step in their education. Take a walk outside and see all of the lovely messages from your community.
- Create a virtual memory jar: Add to the celebration by asking family members to post or share their favorite memories of the graduate as they worked to earn their high school diploma or bachelor’s, master’s, or even doctorate degree. No matter where graduates are in their education, an online salute can make them feel special.
- Snap some photos: Capture the moment with a photo shoot. Be sure to grab screenshots of your online guests if you’re doing a virtual graduation celebration. There are many ideas online for graduation-themed backdrops and props that can add to the photo fun.
- Make a montage video: Honor your graduate with a video of memories. Include snapshots and video highlights from all stages of your graduate’s life, from infancy to graduation. Share it online for friends and family.
Walden University is an accredited institution offering bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs online. Expand your career options and earn your degree in a convenient, flexible format that fits your busy life.
Walden University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, www.hlcommission.org.
Whether looking for information on programs, admissions, or financial aid, we're here to help.
Fill out the form and we will contact you to provide information about furthering your education.
Please use our International Form if you live outside of the U.S.