Successful leaders in today’s IT industry possess more than just the technical skills necessary to comprehend evolving technology.
They also must have an essential understanding of how organizational structure and operational functions can impact growth and success.
In Walden’s online Doctor of Information Technology (DIT) program, you will gain advanced knowledge in the field of information technology and acquire the strategic leadership skills needed to guide organizations through critical IT-related challenges. You’ll be equipped with the tools you need to change your world—and the world of those around you.
Our online Doctor of Information Technology program prepares students for key IT and leadership positions within organizations and consulting firms as well as roles in academia. Through problem-based learning simulators, research seminars, residencies, and other learning opportunities, you will analyze relevant IT scenarios to develop solutions you can implement in your workplace. By pursuing your doctorate in information technology, you will explore qualitative and quantitative research methods and complete a doctoral study demonstrating your ability to examine, critique, and synthesize knowledge, theory, and experience in an applied IT project.
Why earn your online DIT from Walden?
- IT Leadership Simulators—Delve into problem-based learning scenarios to examine relevant IT challenges that you may encounter as a leader and create proactive and reactive plans to overcome them.
- Seminar Courses—Engage with colleagues and faculty members to explore IT best practices and gain a holistic understanding of the effects they can have on an organization.
- Residencies—Network face to face with small groups of students who share your academic and research interest while you enhance your critical thinking, analysis, and scholarly writing skills
- Doctoral Study—Demonstrate your ability to synthesize the knowledge you have gained throughout the program by investigating an IT topic that interests you and develop a scholarly paper that makes a contribution to your field.
- Master's Along the Way—After successfully completing required courses in our online DIT program, you may be eligible to receive an MS in Information Technology, giving you a valuable credential while you work toward completing your doctorate.
Graduates of this Doctor of Information Technology program will be prepared to:
- Critically evaluate current research and best practices in the area of IT methods in organizations.
- Analyze best practices and research to determine appropriate design of integrated IT systems.
- Recommend IT strategies that support enterprise mission and objectives following tenets of professional, social, and ethical responsibility.
- Demonstrate IT leadership skills at the team and enterprise levels.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate technical and business concepts to a range of audiences.
- Demonstrate the ability to formulate project management, compliance, and sourcing of IT within an organization.
- Conduct original research that contributes to professional and actionable knowledge in an applied environment.
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that employment in the computer and information systems management field is expected to grow 18% by 2020. With a Doctor of Information Technology from Walden, you can work in a variety of roles within private and public sectors, consulting firms, and academia. Potential career options may include:
- Chief information officer
- Chief technology officer
- Information technology consultant
- Information technology strategist
- Higher education faculty or administrator
- Technical manager/director
Career options may require additional experience, training, or other factors beyond the successful completion of this degree program.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, “Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012–13 Edition,” on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm (viewed online July 2, 2013). National long-term projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Save Time and Money on Your Degree
The ability to transfer credit at Walden can give you a more seamless, effective, and cost-efficient way to continue your education. Complete your required coursework sooner by transferring applicable required graduate credits from coursework or credentials into a Walden degree program.
Center of Excellence
Walden has been recognized as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education.
Find detailed information for this program including possible occupations, completion rate, program costs, and median student loan debt. This information will vary depending on whether you (1) hold a master's degree in an information systems related field or (2) hold a bachelor's degree in an information system related field.