Through our online PhD in Public Policy and Administration program, you can take the lead in developing sustainable solutions to improve people’s quality of life today and ensure a better tomorrow.
This online public policy PhD program can prepare you to meet the challenges of governance and public service in the United States and around the world. Gain a detailed understanding of public policy theory, research, and practice in a global context.
Earning your online PhD in Public Policy and Administration from Walden can position you to attain a new level of influence in your field. Become a researcher, college-level educator, or administrative leader in the private, public, or nonprofit sector.*
Why earn your PhD in Public Policy and Administration from Walden?
- The program’s international perspective benefits U.S.-based and international students alike. With courses that incorporate global case studies, a Global Leadership specialization option, and a foundation course created exclusively for international students, this public policy PhD helps you broaden your understanding.
- The program is taught by a diverse faculty of scholar-practitioners, all of whom hold doctoral degrees, with experience in domestic and international policy.
- Four academic residencies will support your progress at key points in your doctoral journey. Residencies enrich your learning experience by enabling you to meet face to face with peers, staff, and faculty while gaining skills to prepare you for your dissertation.
- Choose from the General Program or 13 specializations, allowing you to focus your learning on your personal interests and career goals:
With our online PhD in Public Policy and Administration program, you can gain the knowledge and credentials that will help you change your world—and the world around you.
Graduates of this public policy PhD program will be prepared to:
- Discuss leadership concepts and theories that have been used to effectively lead and manage in the public sector.
- Analyze evidence-based research, theories, and models used to promote participation in public and nonprofit policy processes.
- Develop solutions for problems related to public policy and public administration using theory and research.
- Ethically apply the major theories and concepts of public policy and public administration within organizations.
- Evaluate models and best practices utilizing diverse perspectives in local, state, national, and international public agencies by using evidence-based research.
Whether you’re interested in furthering your own research or entering the private sector, a PhD in Public Policy and Administration can position you for a range of careers.
Career options include:*
- College professor
- Academic administrator
- Senior-level public executive
- Legislative aide
- Government affairs officer
- Senior-level nonprofit manager
- Policy analyst
- Research director
- Private consultant
*Career options may require additional experience, training, or other factors beyond the successful completion of this degree program.
Save Time and Money on Your Degree
The ability to transfer credit at Walden from your coursework or credentials can give you a more seamless, effective, and cost-efficient way to continue your education.
- Complete your required PhD in Public Policy and Administration coursework sooner by transferring your applicable credits.
- Students who have completed a Master of Public Administration, Master of Public Policy, or Master in Nonprofit will automatically receive 15 credits for their completed degree.
Find detailed information for this program including possible occupations, completion rate, program costs, and median student loan debt. This information will vary depending on whether you (1) do not hold a MPA/MPP or (2) hold a MPA/MS NPML from Walden or a MPP/MPA from another accredited university.