Influence programs and policies that save lives, improve the face of global health, and create stronger communities through our PhD in Public Health online degree program.
In our online PhD in Public Health program, you can build upon your skills and expertise to become a more effective scholar-practitioner and make compelling contributions to advancing wellness among diverse populations. Coursework examines issues in disease and injury prevention; health informatics; and the importance of communication, marketing, and public relations in the public health field. In addition to conducting your own original research in a public health topical area of your choice, you can learn how to apply public health research to promote positive social change concerning the health of communities worldwide.
Earning your PhD in Public Health can position you to pursue prominent career roles as a leader, researcher, consultant, or educator in a wide range of settings. Gain the knowledge and credentials to change your world and improve the lives of countless people across the globe.
Why Earn Your Online PhD in Public Health From Walden?
- Integrate scholarly research with practical solutions that address today’s most pressing health issues through a scholar-practitioner learning model.
- Earn your PhD in Public Health degree sooner if you already have a Master of Public Health (MPH) or MS in Public Health.
- Broaden your research skills through an original dissertation that contributes to the field.
- Learn from scholars, researchers, and distinguished leaders from all over the world who are selected for their academic and public health industry credentials and expertise.
Dramatic changes in our nation’s healthcare delivery system, coupled with a national emphasis on disease prevention and healthy living, are prompting a growing demand for highly qualified public health scholars, researchers, and leaders.
Whether you’re interested in conducting research, raising public awareness of health issues, managing healthcare organizations, or contributing to policy development, the public health field offers an exciting array of career possibilities.
Career options include:*
- Health department director
- Health officer
- Public health information officer
- Health policy advisor
- Public health researcher
- Post-doctoral fellow
- Global health professional/consultant
- Public health consultant
- Public health policy advisor
Top Public Health Employers
The field of public health touches numerous sectors, from government agencies to business organizations to charities. Some of the major public health employers in America today include:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Managed care organizations
- State and local public health departments
- Hospitals and medical facilities
- Corporate sector
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the U.S. employs approximately 100,000 health educators, community health workers, and epidemiologists in traditional public health settings. The first two categories are each projected to grow 21% by the year 2022.†
*Career options may require additional experience, training, or other factors beyond the successful completion of this degree program.
†Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014–2015 Edition, Health Educators and Community Health Workers, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/health-educators.htm (viewed online March 11, 2015). National long-term projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.