Tuition and Financial

Federal Financial Aid            

Placeholder for the "Live Chat" block

What Is Federal Financial Aid?

If you’re a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen, you may be able to receive federal financial aid1 to help you fund your higher education. Walden University is approved by the U.S. Department of Education to participate in a variety of grant and loan programs.

If you plan on using financial aid, we recommend that you start your FAFSA now.


Apply for Federal Student Aid

If you plan to use financial aid, we recommend you start your FAFSA now.

Walden’s Title IV Code is 025042

What Are Your Options?

We’re your partner in this process. Once you’re admitted and we receive your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®), we’ll inform you of your federal financial aid options via your Walden myFinAid portal. Some federal student aid programs have their own eligibility criteria in addition to general eligibility requirements. Filling out the FAFSA is your first step!


Federal Grants

Federal grants are funds that typically do not have to be repaid. Walden participates in the following federal grant programs.

Federal Student Loans

Federal loans are funds that you borrow and must pay back with interest.


Most U.S. citizens and eligible noncitizens can apply for federal financial aid if they meet eligibility requirements.

Maintaining Your Financial Aid

Your financial aid eligibility could change for a variety of reasons. Make sure you’re aware of the requirements to continue to receive financial aid every term.

Maintaining Eligibility: There are federal requirements and Walden-specific requirements to maintain your financial aid. Be sure to complete a FAFSA each year and review financial aid's terms and conditions.

Regaining EligibilityIf you lose federal financial aid eligibility, there may be something you can do to get it back.

Lifetime LimitsThere are limits to the amount of federal aid you can receive. It’s important to understand how much you have used and how much you have left to complete your educational goals.  Make sure to explore all your options and that you have your FSA ID and password to log in.


Policies and Disclosures

We want you to understand what impacts your financial aid at Walden. Use the links below to learn more about the process.

The Office of Financial Aid processes applications for federal student aid and handles all questions relating to federal financial aid. To contact a Walden financial services advisor, phone 1-800-925-3368.

Responsible Borrowing

We encourage you to borrow only what you need to earn your degree. Walden will offer you the amount of student loans for which you’re eligible, but you can reduce that amount.

To determine how much loan money to accept, make a list of your college and living expenses and the resources you’ll have available to pay them. Take a look at your long-term goals to see if borrowing less now will leave you with more options later.

You’re responsible for knowing the total amount you’ve borrowed and how much you have left toward your lifetime limits. You can see a summary of your federal loan debt at

Your federal student loans go into repayment when you drop below half-time enrollment, leave school, or graduate. At that time, you’re required to complete loan exit counseling.

The federal government offers several repayment plan options. Before you choose a repayment plan, use the Loan Simulator to see which plans you may be eligible for, how much you’ll owe overall, and what your monthly payment might be.

For Washington State residents seeking information and resources about student loan repayment or seeking to submit a complaint relating to your student loans or student loan servicer, please visit or contact the Student Loan Advocate at [email protected].

Federal Financial Aid FAQ

Is there a Financial Aid Glossary?

Yes. You can refer to Walden’s Financial Aid Glossary

Where can I find more resources about federal financial aid?

Visit to learn more.

Still have questions?

Find more frequently asked questions in our Financial Aid Help Center


 1For Washington State residents seeking information and resources about student loan repayment or seeking to submit a complaint relating to your student loans or student loan servicer, please visit or contact the Student Loan Advocate at [email protected].