Transcript Evaluations and Transfer Credits

Placeholder for the "Live Chat" block

Transcript Evaluations

Acceptance of Foreign Degrees

International applicants must have their transcripts evaluated to determine the academic equivalency to U.S. educational standards. This may be done free of charge by Walden University. This evaluation will be valid only for application to Walden University. Applicants are required to have documents translated, preferably by a member of the University Language Service, Inc.

In any circumstance where the Office of Admissions is unable to determine the academic level or course credit awarded in relation to U.S. educational standards, applicants will be asked to submit their transcripts to a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE). Applicants must pay the evaluation fee directly to the NACES or AICE member.

International applicants may also request transfer of credit from institutions outside the United States.

Official Transcript Submission

To order an official transcript(s), contact the institution from which you received your last degree. We recommend that you request your official transcript(s) immediately, as it can often take up to two months for it to reach Walden University. Your official transcript(s) should be sent from the institution directly to:

Walden University
Office of Admissions
7080 Samuel Morse Drive
Suite 100
Columbia, MD, 21046

For electronic delivery, have your school send your official transcripts to [email protected].

To learn more about the application process, call an Enrollment Specialist today. See a list of international phone numbers.


Transfer of Credits

International applicants requesting transfer of credit from an institution outside the United States into a Walden University degree program must have a course-by-course evaluation of relevant transcripts. Walden University offers this service free of charge. International applicants for the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) may also have their licensure/certification status evaluated by the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) in order to determine equivalency to U.S. registered nurse status.

Credits to be evaluated for transfer from other educational institutions must meet the following criteria:

  • Earned and recorded on an official transcript at a school that was accredited by a regional, professional/specialized, or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) at the time the course was completed, or from an appropriately accredited non-U.S. institution.

  • Earned within 10 years prior to or after matriculation, but within the time limit for earning the degree, unless noted differently. Please ask your Enrollment Specialist about specific time limits for the various schools and programs.

  • Earned in courses posting a B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or higher. Credits accepted for transfer to bachelor’s degree programs must have been earned in courses posting a C (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) or higher.

  • Earned in a course with content equivalent to the corresponding Walden course or with content considered to enhance the student’s Walden education.

  • Approved prior to registering for the course or preparing the Learning Agreement for the Knowledge Area Module demonstration for which transfer-of-credit evaluation has been requested.

Walden University also considers credits for transfer from educational accomplishments attained in extra-institutional settings that are recognized by the American Council on Education’s (ACE) Center for Adult Learning and Educational Credentials, and in institutions accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). ACE’s Military Evaluations Program (DANTES) and College Credit Recommendation Service (CREDIT), as well as other credit-by-examination programs, offer credit evaluations or recommendations for programs offered by the military and by civilian organizations such as businesses, corporations, government agencies, training providers, institutes, and labor unions.

Evaluation services are also available for examination programs, for occupations with validated job-proficiency evaluation systems, and for correspondence courses offered by schools accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council.

Credits considered for transfer that have been recommended or evaluated by ACE or accrediting bodies recognized by CHEA must meet the following conditions:

  • The educational quality of the learning experience to be transferred meets the standards of Walden University.

  • The nature, content, and level of the learning experience are comparable to those offered by Walden.

  • The learning experience is appropriate and applicable to Walden’s programs, in light of the student’s educational goals.

Important note: If you are an international student married to a member of the U.S. military, you will follow all of the processes intended for international students, but you will also be eligible for U.S. military benefits.

Credit Hours

The credit hour is the basic unit of measure for college credit. Generally speaking, credit hours are the number of hours you can expect to spend doing work for your Walden courses over the course of the quarter or semester, depending on your program of study. Typically, this breaks down to approximately 20 hours per week.