Shape stronger, healthier communities as a researcher, leader, or educator.
Next Start Dates
Courses with a set schedule
February 27, 2023
Up to 40 Credits
Become a Global Health Change Agent
Are you passionate about empowering people with information about their health? With an online PhD in Health Education and Promotion from Walden, you can develop and lead programs that advance public health initiatives—or conduct research that promotes a healthier world. Inspire positive, lasting social change that improves quality of life for entire populations.
A health education doctorate prepares students to contribute to the field as researchers, leaders, faculty scholars, educators, and advocates for individual and community health.
Pursue Your Passion
Deepen your knowledge in a subject area by choosing a specialization that matches your interests and career goals.
Choose From Three Paths
Select one of three PhD in Health Education and Promotion program completion options, depending on your master’s-level preparation.
Stay on Track
Our Doctoral Degree Coach™ tool helps you map and track key program milestones and access helpful resources along the way.
Drive Important Social Change
This degree program is designed to empower you to create meaningful change, both in your organization and your community.
Benefit From Dedicated Support
From our vast digital library to doctoral peer mentor groups, you’ll have all the resources you need to thrive in your PhD program.
Pioneer in Online Learning
Walden harnesses educational innovation to give you the flexibility, support, and top-level education you need to thrive.
Learn to better understand and address the many factors that influence human health and well-being.
Gain the global perspective to address the impact of emerging infectious diseases, poverty, climate change, and other issues.
Learn how to be an effective, ethical, and energizing leader in the local, national, or global healthcare promotion arena.
Explore principles of online instruction and learn best practices for reaching diverse populations of adult learners.
Explore a wide range of factors that influence health including public health, genetics, medical care, and the environment.
Choose the Path That Is Right for You
- TRACK I: Choose this track if you have a master’s degree in health education and promotion.
- TRACK II: Choose this track if you have a Master of Public Health.
- TRACK III: Choose this track if you hold a master’s degree in an academic discipline other than the public health field.
Program Admission Considerations: A master's degree or higher.
More information for international applicants.
At Walden, we’ll guide you every step of the way with a comprehensive suite of support resources designed to help you confidently pursue the finish line, including our Doctoral Degree CoachTM. Are you ready to reach a higher level in your field?
A Personalized Guide to Completing Your Doctorate
Earning your PhD in Health Education and Promotion requires commitment, perseverance, and hard work. You can do it, and Walden is here to help—with our Doctoral Degree Coach™.
- Map and track milestones: Break your research down into manageable, sequential steps. See where you are, what’s ahead, and what you’ve already accomplished—all in one place.
- Meet weekly targets: No more guesswork. Set prompts based on your to-do list and receive reminders and updates directly to your inbox.
- Connect with faculty: Stay on the same page and keep your progress on track. With shared access to your dashboard, your chair can easily guide you through your checklists, goals, and timelines.
- Access helpful resources: Quickly find support from the right person at the right time. Our comprehensive resource guide points you in the right direction—no more frustrating searches.
Turn Insights Into Action and Improve Lives
Walden’s online PhD in Health Education and Promotion program is grounded in the Eight Areas of Responsibility for Health Education Specialists outlined by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing . Explore the factors that impact individual and community health, current trends and best practices in the field, and the components of effective health promotion and disease prevention programs. Conduct original applied research on a health education topic that touches your world.
Lead the Way to Global Health and Wellness
Earning a “Dr.” before your name can open doors you never imagined. With Walden’s online PhD in Health Education and Promotion program, you can earn a distinctive credential that puts you in an elite group of health education scholars and thought leaders. Get started today and find out how we can help you achieve your education and career goals.
A health education doctorate program can prepare you to work in settings such as:
- State and local government
- Individual and family services
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations
Graduates of this program will be prepared to:
- Evaluate the factors that impact individual and population health.
- Synthesize assessment results to identify and prioritize health problems.
- Engage in collaborative planning of health interventions.
- Apply knowledge that results in successful implementation and monitoring of health promotion and disease prevention interventions.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of health promotion and disease prevention interventions
- Conduct original health education-related research.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior as a health education scholar-practitioner.
- Facilitate efforts among stakeholders to achieve common goals related to individual and community health.
- Apply health education principles, theories, and models to create professional communication and establish positive public relations.
- Use evidence-based research to advocate for policies and programs that promote positive social change related to the health of individuals and communities.
You May Also Be Interested In
FAQ About Walden’s Online PhD in Health Education and Promotion
When it comes to finding the best online academic institution for you, reputation is key. Walden University is a pioneer of distance learning and has been supporting the educational needs of working professionals for more than 50 years. Accreditation should also be key in your decision-making. Attending an accredited university means you can be confident that your chosen degree program has passed the intense scrutiny and high standards of an independent accreditation organization. Walden University participates in a thorough recertification process every 10 years with The Higher Learning Commission, an independent accreditation corporation founded in 1895. Lastly, you’ll want to choose a program that helps pave the way to any state licensing or certification you need. Walden’s PhD in Health Education and Promotion program can prepare you to sit for the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam or the Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) exam.
When you choose to earn your PhD in Health Education and Promotion online, you’ll find a number of benefits that traditional classroom programs don’t readily offer. For instance, Walden’s global campus allows you to see your profession on an international scale through the eyes of classmates who may be from other parts of the world. With online health education degree programs, you can also access your coursework from anywhere and at any time. This level of flexibility makes it possible to complete your degree as you continue working full time. You’ll also benefit from asynchronous discussions with classmates, a suite of online student support services, and much more.
As laid out by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, health educators have seven primary responsibilities.1 Those are as follows:
- Assess needs, resources, and capacity for health education/promotion
- Plan health education/promotion
- Implement health education/promotion
- Conduct evaluation and research related to health education/promotion
- Administer and manage health education/promotion
- Serve as a health education/promotion resource person
- Communicate, promote, and advocate for health, health education/promotion, and the profession
1Source: National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Responsibilities and Competencies for Health Education Specialists, on the internet at www.nchec.org/responsibilities-and-competencies.
Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) certification establishes a national standard for members of the profession and shows prospective employers that an individual is proficient in certain knowledge and skills. Earning your CHES certification not only unlocks the opportunity to further your career and earning potential, but also enables you to become a part of a global movement to positively impact world health. To become certified, you must pass an exam administered by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing Inc.1 If you want to apply to take the exam, you must meet certain academic requirements and submit official transcripts indicating a major in health education and completion of at least 25 semester hours of work addressing the Eight Areas of Responsibility and Competency for Health Education Specialists.1
When you earn your PhD in Health Education and Promotion from Walden, you’ll benefit from courses that help you better understand the needs of those you will be serving in your role, best practices for developing your research skills, how to drive social change, and much more. In Walden University’s PhD in Health Education and Promotion program, you’ll take courses such as:
- Assessing Community Needs for Health Education
- Building a Multidisciplinary Approach to Health
- Research Theory, Design, and Methods
While these courses will help you prepare for a career as a public health educator, you will also be able to choose a specialization to obtain additional knowledge and skills aligned with your career goals. Walden’s PhD in Health Education and Promotion program offers specializations in Global Health, Research, Behavioral Health, Management and Leadership, Online Teaching in Higher Education, and Population Health.
Fill out the form and we will contact you to provide information about furthering your education.
Please use our International Form if you live outside of the U.S.
Note on Certification: The PhD in Health Education and Promotion has been designed to reflect the Eight Areas of Responsibility for Health Education Specialists outlined by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC) and to prepare students to sit for the national Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) and Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) exams. Walden Enrollment Specialists can provide information relating to national certification exams; however, it remains the individual’s responsibility to understand, evaluate, and comply with all requirements relating to national certification exams for the state in which he or she intends to practice. Walden makes no representations or guarantee that completion of Walden coursework or programs will permit an individual to obtain national certification. For more information about the CHES and MCHES exams, students should visit http://www.nchec.org.