5 Ways Prior Achievements Can Accelerate Your Doctoral Degree Program
Save money and graduate sooner by leveraging your experience, earned credits, and knowledge as you earn your doctorate.
Doctoral degree programs combine rigorous coursework with the requirement of original research in the form of a dissertation or doctoral study. If you’re seeking a terminal degree, you’re probably prepared for the challenge—but at the same time, you’re aware that it can take several years or more to complete a doctoral degree program. Here are five ways doctoral candidates can earn their degree online in less time:
- Transfer Credits: As you begin your journey to earn your doctorate online, your university can provide guidance on how your previous courses can translate into credits. You may be able to transfer up to 50% of your required graduate credits, saving you time and money.
- Professional Experience: Look for a university that values your credentials and has partnered with leading professional organizations to translate your certifications into credits that may transfer into your doctoral degree program. Examples include Certified Public Accountant, Chartered Financial Analyst, Child Development Associate, CISCO CCNA, and many others.
- Military Experience: Find out whether your university is a member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges. If it is, you may be able to apply the credit you earn from certain military organizations and from military training toward your doctoral degree program.
- Dissertation and Thesis Knowledge: Certain elements of your dissertation or thesis can be made easier, especially if you’re passionate about the subject matter. Examine all of your past experiences, whether personal or professional, and use that knowledge base when it’s time to select your research topic, write your research question, and complete your dissertation or doctoral study.
- Professional Contacts: The contacts you’ve already made during your career can also be leveraged as you pursue your doctoral degree online. Reach out to those with whom you’ve established strong relationships, and ask them to act as content experts or survey participants. Those already in your professional network may be likely to provide faster, more useful responses.
As a working professional seeking a terminal degree, you’ll find that your doctorate experience will be enhanced by your past work experience and knowledge.
Walden University is an accredited institution offering online doctoral degree programs. Find the doctorate that’s right for you, and discover a faster path toward changing your future.
Walden University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, www.hlcommission.org.