Jobs With Lots of Openings at the Master's Degree Level
If you’ve set your sights on earning a master’s degree, why not choose a job field with strong employment prospects?
CareerOneStop, a job site sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration, has created a guide to career fields expected to have the highest number of annual job openings between 2021 and 2031. Here are some of the fast-growing careers that typically require a master’s degree:
This nursing career is the fastest-growing occupation in the United States.1 Here’s what CareerOneStop says about this profession:2
- Job outlook: New job opportunities are very likely in the future, with 46% employment growth and 26,800 annual job openings projected between 2021 and 2031.
- What they do: Diagnose and treat acute, episodic, or chronic illness, independently or as part of a healthcare team. May focus on health promotion and disease prevention. May order, perform, or interpret diagnostic tests such as lab work and X-rays. May prescribe medication.
- Job titles: They include Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), and Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (PNP) Primary Care.
- Master’s degree option: Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) with a nurse practitioner specialization.
Marriage and Family Therapist3
- Job outlook: New job opportunities are very likely in the future, with 14% employment growth and 6,400 annual job openings projected between 2021 and 2031.
- What they do: Diagnose and treat mental and emotional disorders, whether cognitive, affective, or behavioral, within the context of marriage and families.
- Job titles: They include counselor and marriage and family counselor.
- Master’s degree option: MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with a Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling specialization.
Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Worker4
- Job outlook: New job opportunities are very likely in the future, with 11% employment growth and 12,700 annual job openings projected between 2021 and 2031.
- What they do: Assess and treat individuals with mental, emotional, or substance abuse problems. Activities may include individual and group therapy, crisis intervention, case management, client advocacy, prevention, and education.
- Job titles: They include case manager, clinical social worker, mental health counselor, social worker, and substance abuse counselor.
- Master’s degree options: Master of Social Work (MSW) with an Addictions focus area; MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Addiction Counseling specialization.
Healthcare Social Worker5
- Job outlook: New job opportunities are very likely in the future, with 11% employment growth and 19,700 annual job openings projected between 2021 and 2031.
- What they do: Provide individuals, families, and groups with the psychosocial support needed to cope with chronic, acute, or terminal illnesses. Provide clients with information and counseling and make referrals for other services. May also design and implement health education and promotion interventions to prevent disease and address barriers to healthcare access.
- Job titles: They include social worker, social work case manager, clinical social worker, and medical social worker.
- Master’s degree option: Master of Social Work (MSW) with a Healthcare focus area.
Educational, Guidance, and Career Counselor and Advisor6
- Job outlook: New job opportunities are very likely in the future, with 10% employment growth and 32,000 annual job openings projected between 2021 and 2031.
- What they do: Advise and assist students and provide educational and vocational guidance services.
- Job titles: They include academic advisor, admissions counselor, college counselor, guidance counselor, and student services coordinator.
- Master’s degree option: MS in School Counseling.
Education Administrator, Kindergarten Through Secondary7
- Job outlook: New job opportunities are very likely in the future, with 5% employment growth and 23,500 annual job openings projected between 2021 and 2031.
- What they do: Plan, direct, or coordinate the academic, administrative, or auxiliary activities of kindergarten, elementary, or secondary schools.
- Job titles: They include elementary principal, high school principal, and school administrator.
- Master’s degree option: MS in Education with a specialization in Educational Leadership and Administration (Principal Licensure Preparation).
Choosing Online Education for an MS Degree
As you consider education options to prepare for these and other in-demand occupations, be sure to explore online master’s degree programs that offer flexibility to working professionals. As a master’s student in a Walden University MS degree program, you’ll use an online learning platform that lets you complete your coursework on your weekly schedule, anywhere you have internet access.
Accreditation is another important feature to look for when choosing an online master’s degree program. First, make sure you’re enrolling in an accredited university. Then, you’ll want to check for master’s program accreditations, where applicable, because accreditation tells you that an online degree program aligns with professional standards.
Walden’s master’s in social work program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), for example, and its online master’s in school counseling degree program has earned accreditation from the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
Good colleges and universities offer comprehensive student support services—another feature to look for. Enrollment Specialists should be able to help answer questions about admissions requirements for online master’s degree programs. Find out if your master’s degree program will academically prepare you for licensure or certification in jobs where it’s needed.
The future’s bright for many jobs requiring a master’s degree. Let your interests and goals lead you to the career that’s right for you.
Walden University is an accredited institution offering online certificate programs as well as bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs. Expand your career options and earn your degree using a convenient, flexible format that fits your busy life.
Walden University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, www.hlcommission.org.
Whether looking for information on programs, admissions, or financial aid, we're here to help.
Fill out the form and we will contact you to provide information about furthering your education.
Please use our International Form if you live outside of the U.S.