Find Your Program
Or browse by
Browse our programs
Do You Have What It Takes to Motivate a Team?
One of the most important jobs in business management is motivating your team. Although some managers have charisma that just naturally inspires people to do their best, most find that motivating teams is something that takes practice and effort—but that that effort can reap great rewards.
There are two primary types of motivation: external and internal.1 People can be temporarily or mildly motivated by external motivators, but you will get the best work from someone when they are internally motivated. Examples of external motivators include money, praise, and rewards. Examples of internal motivators include enjoying the work and feeling competent and accomplished.
How Effective Business Management Professionals Motivate Teams
Because motivation comes from within, managers cannot really motivate someone. But a team can be inspired to become self-motivated through good management techniques. The following are a few proven business management and leadership strategies that work.
- Being Accessible and Fully Present.2 Many managers say that they have an open-door policy, but then when their team needs them the most, they are unavailable. When you make yourself available to answer questions, exchange ideas, or discuss concerns, you are showing your team that you truly care about their success, which in turn makes them care about success, too.
- Supporting Self-Management.1 Empowering your team members to manage themselves will also empower them to motivate themselves. When you offer support rather than immediate instruction and micromanagement, you empower your team members to use their organizational skills and access their talents.
- Clarifying Expectations and Instilling Accountability. When you make expectations clear to the whole team, you make it much easier for individual team members to motivate themselves to meet those expectations.1 Accountability should also be a team goal and focus.2 When team members are accountable for meeting expectations, and that accountability extends to everyone on the team, it motivates individuals to meet expectations head on and avoid mistakes.
How a Master’s in Business Administration Can Help With Team Motivation
A master’s degree in business administration is a great way to sharpen your business management skills. By completing an online graduate degree program, you can gain the management training you need to succeed as a top manager.
Walden University offers an online Master of Business Administration (MBA) program designed to help working professionals learn to effectively manage teams, projects, and organizations across sectors and environments. Walden’s online master’s in management degree program can give you the knowledge and skills necessary to:
- Create positive work environments.
- Make sound managerial decisions.
- Facilitate effective collaboration in support of organizational goals.
If you’re concerned you don’t have time to earn an MBA, an online MBA degree option could be the answer. Unlike earning a business degree through a traditional business school, pursuing an MBA degree online can allow you to improve your business credentials as you complete the majority of your studies from the convenience of your home. Study on a schedule that works for you as you continue to lead and motivate your team.
Qualified and skilled managers will always be in demand. Completing an online MBA program can help you not only increase your salary and career prospects, but also give you the management training you need to inspire your team to excellence.
Walden University is an accredited institution offering a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree program online. Expand your career options and earn your degree using a convenient, flexible learning platform that fits your busy life.
Walden University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, www.hlcommission.org.
Whether looking for information on programs, admissions, or financial aid, we're here to help.
Fill out the form and we will contact you to provide information about furthering your education.
Please use our International Form if you live outside of the U.S.