Available exclusively in our PhD in Human Services program, the Advanced Customized option gives you the flexibility to tailor your coursework to your career objectives and personal interests. Under the guidance of a mentor, you can:
- Gain a deeper level of knowledge in your specific area of interest.
- Benefit from a uniquely independent, self-directed learning experience.
- Practice your scholarly writing and prepare for your dissertation.
The Advanced Customized option is a new way to meet the requirements for all specializations in the PhD in Human Services program. It consists of one prescribed course and two quarters of independent study. If you choose a specialization in the PhD in Human Services program (e.g., Family Studies and Interventions), you will take one specified course in that area and then move on to independent study. If you choose the General Program, you will take one graduate-level course of your choosing before continuing on to independent study.
This program option is only available to qualified students who meet select criteria as they progress in their program. To qualify:
- You must have completed at least 30 quarter hours in Walden’s PhD in Human Services program.
- You must have a cumulative Walden GPA of at least 3.5 at the time of application.
- You must have a Walden faculty member submit a letter (or email) of recommendation that addresses the quality of your writing as well as your ability to work independently.
If you are interested in the Advanced Customized option, you can discuss the application process with your student success advisor.