Why Should I Earn a PhD in Health Education and Promotion?
Learn how an online degree can prepare you to improve the nation’s health.
Are you passionate about health education? If so, the country needs you.
A study conducted by the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research found that less than 3% of Americans meet all basic healthy lifestyle qualifications, which include being a nonsmoker, engaging in moderate or vigorous exercise for at least 150 minutes a week, and having a body fat percentage under 20% for men and 30% for women.1
Now more than ever, professional, governmental, and medical groups recognize the need for world health and wellness initiatives. By earning an online PhD in Health Education and Promotion, you will gain the skills and knowledge to plan, implement, and evaluate prevention programs and services while exploring individual and population health. Here are a few more benefits of earning your PhD in Health Education and Promotion online.
You can help improve the nation’s health.
An online PhD in Health Education and Promotion is ideal for health educators who want to help people and communities adopt healthy lifestyles. There are six specializations in Walden University’s online degree program that can help make you an effective leader, including:
- Behavioral Health – Better understand and address the factors and influences on health and well-being by investigating the motivation, psychology, and theory behind the health and health-related behaviors of diverse populations.
- Global Health – Learn variations in cultural psychology that affect health behaviors and identify current threats to address the impact of emerging infectious disease, poverty, human rights issues, climate change, or population growth.
- Management and Leadership – Gain insights into the structure, components, and delivery of health services and delve into areas of organizational development, economics, financial management, and systems thinking.
- Population Health – Explore factors that influence health—including psychology, public health, genetics, medical care, behavior, education level, social status, and the environment—and learn ways to help prevent chronic disease and encourage healthier lifestyles.
The career outlook is strong.
Demand for skilled health education specialists is growing. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects jobs in this field to grow by 17% between 2020 and 2030,2 making it a great time to change or further your career path.
A PhD in Health Education and Promotion can prepare you for health careers in range of settings, including:
- Nonprofit organizations
- Community health agencies
- State and local health departments
- Schools and universities
- Faith-based organizations
- Hospitals and clinics
Walden University’s online PhD in Health Education and Promotion can also prepare you to sit for the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam or the Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) exam.
You can help shape the future of health education.
Armed with a PhD in Health Education and Promotion, you can advance the field as a full-time researcher or an online university professor. In Walden University’s Research specialization, you can learn quantitative and qualitative reasoning and analysis skills; research theory, design, and methods; and grant-writing skills to prepare you for your doctoral dissertation and a career studying and improving health education and promotion. By specializing in Online Teaching in Higher Education, you can prepare to effectively engage, teach, and inspire adult learners in the online classroom while preparing them for health education careers.
Pursuing a Degree
At Walden, earn your degree on your schedule, completing coursework whenever and from wherever you choose. With Walden’s online PhD in Health Education and Promotion program, you can gain the skills and knowledge you need to help make the world a healthier place.
Walden University is an accredited institution offering a PhD in Health Education and Promotion degree program online. Expand your career options and earn your degree in a convenient, flexible format that fits your busy life.
Note on Certification: The PhD in Health Education and Promotion has been designed to reflect the Seven Areas of Responsibility for Health Educators outlined by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC) and to prepare students to sit for the national Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) and Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) exams. Walden Enrollment Specialists can provide information relating to national certification exams; however, it remains the individual’s responsibility to understand, evaluate, and comply with all requirements relating to national certification exams for the state in which he or she intends to practice. Walden makes no representations or guarantee that completion of Walden coursework or programs will permit an individual to obtain national certification. For more information about the CHES and MCHES exams, students should visit http://www.nchec.org.