On campus and online, graduate certificate programs are boosting working professionals’ skill sets, salaries, and professional networks—often a year or more sooner than those earning their graduate degrees.
Available to those with a bachelor’s degree or higher, graduate certificates offer a quick way for professionals to receive certification in a specialized area, paving the way for exciting new career opportunities.
From learning new skills to gaining a competitive edge, we’ve rounded up 10 ways enrolling in an on-campus or online certificate program can give your career a boost.
- You’ll gain a competitive edge. In today’s competitive job market, additional education makes you and your résumé stand out from the crowd, making you a more attractive candidate to potential employers.
- You’ll finish sooner. Graduate degree programs can take years to complete; however, most graduate certificate programs are designed to be completed in less than a year, saving you time and money.
- You’ll stay current. It doesn’t take long for your skills to get stale, especially if it’s been awhile since you’ve received your bachelor’s degree. A graduate certificate helps you stay abreast of all the latest updates in your field, keeping you—and your abilities—current.
- You’ll learn new skills. There’s nothing like a new set of skills you can use on the job. Graduate certificates are renowned for providing working adults with vital new proficiencies that can boost productivity (and impress superiors).
- You can apply what you learn immediately. A graduate certificate curriculum comprises several key courses which get right to the heart of the subject matter. Students are quickly equipped with working knowledge they can immediately apply on the job, no prerequisites required.
- It demonstrates a commitment to continuous learning. Graduate certificates show current and future employers that you’re committed to learning new things about your field. This demonstrates that you’re not only passionate about your vocation, but you’re open to learning new things about it.
- It’s a great stepping stone to a graduate degree. If you’re contemplating a graduate degree, earning a graduate certificate is an excellent tactic to see if you may want to pursue a master’s or doctoral program in your field. Some universities even allow you to apply credits from a graduate certificate toward a graduate degree program.
- It’s also a great first step to change careers. If you’re interested in a career change, or refocusing your current career, graduate certificates are a great way to gain a new skill set while dipping your toe into a potential new (or modified) occupation.
- You’ll boost your professional network. Both on-campus and online certificate programs will allow you to naturally network with other professionals in your field. The relationships you build during a certificate program can last a lifetime, helping you in countless ways.
- You may see a salary boost. The Washington Post reports that those with graduate certificates make an average of 13% to 25% more than those without them.*
Boost your career with an online certificate program.
Interested in boosting your career with a graduate certificate but don’t have time to travel to class? Join other professional students who are earning online graduate certificates at Walden University.
With nine in-demand professional fields to choose from, Walden’s online certificate programs are helping busy working professionals earn more, learn more, and stand out from the crowd.
Discover how an online certificate from Walden, an accredited online university, can boost your career in as little as 6 months.
*C. Simon, The Education Issue: Post-Baccalaureate Certificate, an Alternative to a Master’s Degree, The Washington Post Magazine, on the Internet at www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/the-education-issue-post-baccalaureate-certificate-an-alternative-to-a-masters-degree/2012/02/02/gIQA6ZPvHR_story.html.
Walden University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, www.hlcommission.org.