Great Nursing Apps for Every Career Stage
Whether you’re enrolled in a nursing program to further your career as a nurse, or a veteran nurse who is well-established in your nursing career, it’s important to stay current on trends that could help improve your efficiency as well as enhance the patient experience. Amid the often stressful and hectic days, it’s reassuring to know you’re earning a steady income and engaging in a rewarding career while helping people. However, it can be difficult to find time to read about the latest industry news.
Mobile apps have made it so much easier to get critical and on-trend information with a simple swipe of a finger. Smartphone users have more than 6.5 million apps to choose from across leading app stores.* Don’t stress; we’ve done the work for you and found great apps every nurse and nursing student should check out:
Study and Reminders
- NCSBN Flashcards: Though this may have been designed to help nursing students prepare for the NCLEX Exam, it’s also great to use as a quick reference to help jog your memory. Created by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN), this app catalogs thousands of drugs, grouping information into manageable categories like common actions and effects.
- Med Mnemonics: Because memorizing medical terminology can be challenging, Med Mnemonics puts nearly 1,800 clever acronyms, rhymes, and memory tricks on your mobile device, covering topics ranging from anatomy and biochemistry to pharmacology and surgery. The database is searchable and users can add their own mnemonics to the database.
- Medscape MedPulse: Stay informed on the latest medical news with award-winning journalism and expert perspectives written specifically for healthcare professionals. Read the most essential news across medicine, customize the app by the topics important to you, and keep up with the medical thought leaders you trust.
- MedPage Today: This app provides breaking medical news and daily coverage of more than 30 specialties and annual coverage of more than 60 meetings and symposia. Stay up-to-date with industry-relevant information that directly affects the lives and practices of healthcare professionals.
Easy and Quick Reference
- Taber’s Medical Dictionary: A relevant reference tool with entries for more than 65,000 terms with full-color illustrations, videos, integrated audio pronunciations, in-depth appendices, and full web access. Nurses can also save favorites for easy access in the future.
- Nurse’s Pocket Guide: This app provides nurses the necessary information to look up the signs and symptoms of medical conditions, link directly to the associated nursing diagnoses, and develop appropriate plans of care. Diagnosis listings are detailed and users can choose by patient symptom and link directly to associated nursing diagnoses.
Connect With Other Nurses
- Code Happy: A social network for nurses, Code Happy allows nurses to create support circles and connect with each other to offer encouragement on a chaotic day or answers to medical questions from other nursing professionals. Nurses everywhere are dealing with the same concerns, and this app offers inspiration and education.
Regardless of what stage you are in your nursing career, mobile apps can be a great way to stay on top of your field. If you’re furthering your career with an online nursing degree program, these mobile apps can be a great study partner. And, staying organized and informed will help you throughout your career in nursing.
Walden University is an accredited institution offering online nursing programs at the bachelor’s, master’s, post-master's certificate, and doctoral degree levels. Expand your career options and earn your degree in a convenient, flexible format that fits your busy life.
*Statista, Number of Apps Available in Leading App Stores as of March 2017, on the internet at www.statista.com/statistics/276623/number-of-apps-available-in-leading-app-stores/.
Walden University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, www.hlcommission.org.
Whether looking for information on programs, admissions, or financial aid, we're here to help.
Fill out the form and we will contact you to provide information about furthering your education.
Please use our International Form if you live outside of the U.S.