Top Benefits of Earning a BS in Health Studies
Healthcare is in the news a lot these days, and for good reason. Healthcare in the United States is a $4.1 trillion industry, which equates to $12,530 per person and 19.7% of the country’s gross domestic product.1 Healthcare is also poised to become the largest job sector in the nation by 2030.2 Needless to say, if you’re looking to start or advance a career in an important and growing field, healthcare can be an excellent option.
While many work on the provider side of healthcare, there are also numerous job opportunities in administration, management, and other vital positions—positions you can help yourself qualify for with a BS in Health Studies. This healthcare degree covers health services, health science, and health education, making it an excellent degree for anyone looking to work on the nonprovider side of healthcare. Here are some of the ways a bachelor's degree in health studies can benefit you.
You Can Learn Valuable Skills
In a BS in Health Studies program, you’ll take classes focused on the policies, organization, financing, and dynamics of the U.S. healthcare system. You can even choose from concentrations such as healthcare management, health promotion and wellness, and health psychology and behavior. The program can help you learn how to:
- Evaluate health and wellness promotion initiatives.
- Critically appraise the context and quality of healthcare delivery within and outside of the United States.
- Evaluate health-related research and research methods.
- Explain how a variety of factors (including behavioral theories, social and cultural factors, and epidemiological principles) impact health.
- Assess public and global health issues across class, race, ethnicity, and culture.
- Demonstrate the skills needed to create effective health programs and services (inclusive of program planning, healthcare management, and program evaluation).
- Demonstrate effective communication skills necessary to advance social change in health education and promotion.
You Can Prepare for a Variety of Healthcare Jobs
A bachelor’s in health studies can provide you with a broad base of healthcare knowledge. This means it can prepare you for a broad range of healthcare careers. With your BS in Health Studies, you can gain the skills and experience you need to work in such settings as:
- Ambulatory healthcare services
- Health practitioners’ offices
- Hospitals and clinics
- Medical diagnostic laboratories
- Nursing and residential care facilities
- Outpatient care centers
- Nonprofit organizations
You Can Earn Your Degree Online
If you’re like many working adults, you’ll need a great deal of flexibility in order to earn a degree while working full time. Thankfully, you can earn a BS in Health Studies degree online. Online learning allows you to complete coursework from home and on a flexible schedule designed to work around your full-time job. With these advantages, online education can make earning a bachelor’s degree more possible than ever.
The healthcare industry offers a wide range of career opportunities. With an online BS in Health Studies, you can put yourself in position to find the right healthcare job for you.
Walden University is an accredited institution offering an online BS in Health Studies degree program. Expand your career options and earn your degree in a convenient, flexible format that fits your busy life.
Walden University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, www.hlcommission.org.
Whether looking for information on programs, admissions, or financial aid, we're here to help.
Fill out the form and we will contact you to provide information about furthering your education.
Please use our International Form if you live outside of the U.S.