Gain a deeper understanding of the field of healthcare and position yourself for a management or leadership role.
Explore the principles of health informatics, healthcare finance, and organizational theory and behavior. This bachelor of science in health studies concentration is ideal if you’re pursuing a management career in the healthcare sector, or you wish to begin your own consulting practice.
The Tempo Learning option1 is ideal for busy working professionals like you. Your progress is measured by the mastery or demonstration of skills, abilities, and knowledge in a particular area of study.
Each competency has been carefully designed by expert faculty with input from employers, with your education and future employment in mind.
If you prefer an instructor-led approach and learning on a predetermined schedule, this program is also offered in a course-based format.
Degree Completion Requirements
- 180 total quarter credits
- General education courses (45 cr.)
- Core courses (55 cr.)
- Concentration courses (25 cr.)
- Elective courses (50 cr.)
- Capstone course (5 cr.)
Students may be eligible to transfer up to 135 credits.
This represents the minimum credits for program completion. Time to completion will vary by student, depending on individual progress and credits transferred, if applicable. For a personalized estimate of your time to completion, call an enrollment advisor at 844-767-9522.
The BS in Health Studies program with a specialization in Healthcare Management includes the following competencies grouped within these Areas of Expertise.
AoE: Concepts of Health Promotion (HLTH 1000)
- CH1001 Health Promotion: Identify concepts relating to health promotion.
- CH1002 Dimensions of Health: Apply dimensions of wellness to personal health goals.
- CH1003 Health Literacy: Analyze the relationship between health literacy, health marketing, and consumer behavior.
- CH1004 Health Indicators: Analyze social determinants of health that impact health indicators.
AoE: Context of Healthcare Delivery (HLTH 1005)
- HD1001 Bills and Laws: Identify the key points of historical bills and laws in healthcare.
- HD1002 Healthcare Systems: Compare aspects of the U.S. healthcare system to other countries
- HD1003 Vertical and Horizontal Integrated Systems: Analyze the benefits and limitations of integrated systems.
- HD1004 Current Health Issues in the Workplace: Analyze the impact of current healthcare delivery issues.
- HD1005 Barriers to Care: Apply strategies to mitigate barriers of care.
- HD1006 Continuum of Care: Develop patient plans throughout the continuum of care.
AoE: Behavioral and Cultural Issues in Healthcare (HLTH 2110)
- BC2001 Health Disparities: Demonstrate understanding of health disparities.
- BC2002 Cultural Competence: Apply culturally competent practices when working with patients and other healthcare professionals.
- BC2003 Social Ecological Model: Apply the social ecological model to community health issues.
- BC2004 Health Disparity Programs: Evaluate intervention programs aimed at mitigating health disparities.
- BC2005 Advocacy: Advocate for changes to policies or programs that positively impact the health of vulnerable populations.
AoE: Theories of Health Behavior (HLTH 2500)
- HB2001 Influences on Health Behavior: Analyze the influences of personal, social, and environmental factors on health behaviors.
- HB2002 Health Behavior Theories and Models: Describe key concepts associated with health behavior theories and models.
- HB2003 Changing Health Behaviors: Analyze theory-based strategies to change health behaviors.
- HB2004 Applying Health Behavior Theories and Models: Apply theories and models to the development of strategies that influence health behaviors in specific populations with health issues.
AoE: Global and Public Health (HLTH 3115)
- PG3001 Global Health Trends and Practices: Identify key influences on global health trends and practices.
- PG3002 Global Health Populations: Describe key public health populations and global health factors that affect diverse populations, cultures, as well as women and children.
- PG3003 Infectious Disease: Identify and describe infectious diseases and their modes of transmission.
- PG3004 Chronic Disease: Identify and describe chronic diseases and their modes of transmission.
- PG3005 Global Health Organizations and Strategies: Describe global health agencies, their roles, and the ways which they support global public health.
- PG3006 The Future of Global Health: Recognize emerging trends in global public health as they relate to population growth, new technology, and ethical/legal considerations.
- PG3007 Apply Principles of Global Public Health: Recommend strategies to positively affect global public health in an identified population.
AoE: Introduction to Healthcare Management (HLTH 4000)
- HM4001 Manager vs. Leader: Differentiate the characteristics of managers and leaders.
- HM4002 Emotional Intelligence: Analyze the influence of emotional intelligence on leadership style.
- HM4003 Roles and Responsibilities: Delegate responsibilities within a healthcare management team.
- HM4004 Leadership Strategies: Apply leadership strategies to management scenarios.
- HM4005 Leadership Philosophy: Develop a personal leadership philosophy based on emotional intelligence and leadership style.
AoE: Planning Public Health Programs (PUBH 4030)
- PP4001 Community Assessment: Justify the selection of public health problems within targeted communities.
- PP4002 Planning Models: Justify the selection of planning models to address chose public health problems within targeted communities.
- PP4003 Mission, Goals, Objectives, and Strategies: Develop measurable goals, objectives, and intervention strategies to address chosen public health issues.
- PP4004 Program Plan Implementation: Develop budgets, timelines, and marketing strategies for program plan implementation.
- PP4005 Program Proposal: Develop proposals to resent program plans.
AoE: Evaluating Public Health Programs (PUBH 4100)
- EV4001 Purposes of Program Evaluation: Analyze purposes of program evaluation and distinguish between types of evaluation.
- EV4002 Program Evaluation Steps: Apply the steps in designing and conducting program evaluations.
- EV4003 Program Evaluation Standards: Assess program evaluation criteria to meet standards.
- EV4004 Data Collection: Recommend valid data collection tools applicable to program evaluation plans.
- EV4005 Data Analysis and Reporting: Develop plans for data analysis and reporting evaluation results.
AoE: Principles of Epidemiology (HLTH 4200)
- PE4001 Descriptive Epidemiology: Identify the personal, temporal, and spatial aspects of disease.
- PE4002 Study Designs: Apply study designs to the surveillance of diseases.
- PE4003 Role of the Epidemiologist: Analyze the role of the epidemiologist in informing scientific, ethical, economic, and political decisions within public health.
AoE: Introduction to Research Methods and Analysis (HLTH 4205)
- RM4001 Research Questions: Develop health-related research questions designed around the scientific method.
- RM4002 Literature Review: Evaluate peer-reviewed research surrounding health-related topics.
- RM4003 Research Design: Apply research design to health-related topics.
- RM4004 Ethics in Research: Apply ethical principles to health-related research.
- RM4005 Data Collection and Analysis: Apply data collection and analysis tools to health-related topics.
- RM4006 Presenting Your Proposal: Present formal research proposals.
AoE: Strategies for Health Communication and Wellness (HLTH 4380)
- CW4001 Key Characteristics of Health Communications: Analyze the components and processes of health communication.
- CW4002 Resource Evaluation: Evaluate credible resources.
- CW4003 Health Behavior Theories: Apply health behavior theories and models to develop effective communications.
- CW4004 Designing Health Communications: Design health communications that are effective with diverse and low literacy populations.
- CW4005 Emerging Technologies: Recommend technology-based strategies to communicate to diverse populations.
- CW4006 Social Marketing Plan: Develop social marketing plans.
AoE: Capstone (HLTH 4900)
- CS4001 Professional Standards: Analyze health knowledge as it applies to professional standards.
- CS4002 Professional Development: Apply communication skills related to professional development.
- CS4003 Annotated Bibliography: Evaluate resources relating to selected health issues and professional standards.
- CS4004 Communication Skills: Apply communication skills to selected health issues and professional standards.
- CS4005 Social Change: Apply social change concepts to a selected health issue.
AoE: Health Informatics (HLTH 2120)
- HI2001 Introduction to Health Informatics: Analyze the breadth, depth, and importance of health informatics.
- HI2002 Threats and Security: Explain threats that impact informatics applications.
- HI2003 Databases: Analyze how databases are used in healthcare.
- HI2004 Technological Tools: Investigate current and trending technologies in healthcare.
AoE: Healthcare Finance (HLTH 4520)
- HF4001 Introduction to Finance: Identify terms and concepts relating to healthcare finance.
- HF4002 Budget Analysis: Analyze the relationship between financial statements and the financial health of an organization.
- HF4003 Costs Analysis: Assess components and purposes of financial reports.
- HF4004 Business Plans and Proposals: Apply budgeting strategies to effectively manage healthcare operations.
AoE: The Interprofessional Healthcare Team (HLTH 3105)
- IH3001 Finding Your Role on the Team: Analyze the relationship between the roles of different team members.
- IH3002 Team Management Skills: Apply communication and conflict resolution skills in an interdisciplinary team.
- IH3003 Evaluating Team Members: Evaluate members of an interdisciplinary team.
AoE: Healthcare Organization Theory and Behavior (HLTH 4100)
- HT4001 Organizational Structure: Examine the structure of various organizations.
- HT4002 Leadership: Analyze the qualities of leadership.
- HT4003 Behavior Management: Apply management skills to organizational environments.
- HT4004 Workplace Motivation: Apply workplace motivation theories.
- HT4005 Organizational Change: Apply management strategies to foster positive organizational changes.
AoE: Current Issues in Healthcare Policy and Practice (HLTH 3110)
- CI3001 Healthcare Delivery Models: Analyze delivery models in acute healthcare.
- CI3002 Long-Term Delivery Models: Evaluate long-term care delivery models based on patient needs.
- CI3003 Health Issues and Policy: Compare U.S. health policies to policies in other countries.
- CI3004 Policy Impact: Analyze the impact of policy on healthcare in the U.S.
- CI3005 Policy Development: Propose healthcare policy initiatives.