Walden University’s online PhD in Education program is a premier doctoral experience for preparing professionals to become leading education researchers, scholars, and practitioners in a variety of settings.
- Ten specializations—Focus your learning on an area that matches your goals.
- Research what you’re interested in—Select your own dissertation topic and research something that you are passionate about. Engage in dissertation research that allows you to contribute new knowledge to your field with respect to a pressing issue, problem, or need.
- Interact with faculty and peers—Four residency experiences are offered, two of which may be taken virtually. At the residencies, you will have opportunities to discuss your research interests and the research process with faculty and students and expand your professional network.
The PhD in Education program is designed for education professionals who desire to advance the practice of education and strengthen the field’s scientific, theoretical, and technological foundations.
As a graduate of this doctorate in education program, you may pursue a variety of career opportunities focused on research and training. Potential career options include:*
- Survey researcher
- Education instructor in the postsecondary setting
- Training and development specialist
Where Our PhD in Education Graduates Work
Walden PhD in Education graduates have gone on to pursue their careers and passions at some of today’s top institutions, including:
- California Polytechnic State University
- Champlain College
- Colorado Department of Education
- U.S. Department of Defense
- The federal government
- Gwinnett County Board of Education
- House of Representatives, Liberia
- IBM Corporation
- New York City Department of Education
- U.S. Air Force
- Winthrop-University Hospital
Read more about the accomplishments of our doctoral graduates.
*Career options may require additional experience, training, or other factors beyond the successful completion of this degree program.
Save Time and Money on Your Degree
The ability to transfer credit at Walden can give you a more seamless, effective, and cost-efficient way to continue your education. Complete your required coursework sooner by transferring applicable required graduate credits into a Walden degree program.
Find detailed information for the Special Education Specialization of this program, or all other specializations of this program, including possible occupations, completion rate, program costs, and median student loan debt.
Note on Teacher Licensure or Certification
This program does not lead to teacher licensure or certification. Teachers are advised to contact their individual school districts as to whether this program may qualify for salary advancement.
Prospective Alabama students: State Authorization to provide a program related to the preparation of teachers or other P-12 school/system personnel does not indicate eligibility for an Alabama professional educator or professional leadership certificate. Applicants who complete an educator preparation program at a non-Alabama institution must apply for an Alabama professional educator or professional leadership certificate through the Alabama Certificate Reciprocity Approach. Current requirements may be found at www.alsde.edu.
Compare Walden’s Doctoral Education Programs
Walden offers both an EdD and PhD in Education to meet your career goals. View the chart to help you determine which program is right for you.