Walden’s online master’s in project management is accredited by the Global Accreditation Center (GAC) for Project Management Education Programs of the Project Management Institute (PMI)®, the world’s leading association for project management professionals.
Earning an online master’s in project management degree from Walden can provide you with the technical project management, leadership. and business strategy skills needed to oversee projects and diverse teams as you help your organization achieve its strategic goals.
Earning a degree from a PMI GAC–accredited program can benefit you as a business professional by:
- Providing you with project management training that covers the internationally recognized standards set forth in PMI’s A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) – Sixth Edition, which ensures that you have the skills to succeed in today’s workplace.
- Making you more marketable to employers who recognize the value of graduates of a PMI GAC–accredited program.
- Helping to prepare you for the certified Project Management Professional (PMP)® exam offered through PMI.*
In addition, Walden is an approved provider of project management training by PMI. As a PMI Registered Education Provider (R.E.P.), the university has agreed to abide by PMI-established quality assurance criteria. Each project management course offered at Walden is worth 45 professional development units toward initial and renewal PMP certification.
Highlights of Walden’s MS in Project Management
Throughout the course of the program, you will have the opportunity to:
- Engage in learning activities with faculty who are specialists in the field of project management and with peers who bring diverse experience managing projects across a wide range of public and private industries and organizations.
- Learn the necessary skills to market yourself and your projects to gain organizational exposure.
- Put your newfound knowledge to work on a real-world project through your capstone course. Participate in a comprehensive case study providing relevant and practical applications of project management skills taught throughout the program.
- Benefit from courses that incorporate all six content domains of the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK)® Guide and align with PMI’s PMP® exam.*
- Take courses such as Stakeholder Management and Organizational Behavior, Enterprise and Project Risk Management, and Budgeting and Management of Operations, which can help you gain the essential management and technical expertise to lead a range of projects in your organization.
Graduates of this online MS in Project Management program will be prepared to:
Demonstrate the ability necessary to produce project management outputs in accordance with established practices for conducting projects within an organization.
- Develop project-based solutions to business problems and opportunities to achieve the strategic performance goals of an organization.
- Manage individual projects from initiation to closure that meet stakeholder requirements and achieve the objectives of the project.
- Synthesize the threats and opportunities of environmental factors into the creation of project- and enterprise-level risk management plans.
- Evaluate the social change impact on social, economic, and environmental factors that contribute to sustainability in project management.
- Appropriately apply professional practices for ethical and socially responsible conduct by project management practitioners.
MS in Project Management Vision
To create a community of scholars and networks of project managers who will benefit the scholastic and professional communities of project management, and their clients and organizations, worldwide.
MS in Project Management Mission
The mission of the program is to provide a diverse community of career professionals with the opportunity to develop project management best practices as well as the business, communication, and leadership skills necessary to manage projects and teams for the purpose of helping organizations achieve strategic goals. Graduates of the program will also be provided an opportunity to transform themselves as scholar-practitioners so that they can effect positive social change in their families, communities, and around the world.
Accelerated Path to a Doctoral Degree
When you complete Walden’s master’s in project management, you may be able to apply credits earned toward Walden’s Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) degree program.
Note: To be eligible to apply credit toward these doctoral programs, students must have earned a B or better in the applicable master’s courses within the last 10 years and be in good standing with the university. All transfer of credit is granted after formal review by Walden’s Office of Admissions.
Earn Project Management Certificates
When you enroll in Walden’s online master’s in project management program, you may be eligible to earn project management certificates as you complete specified courses during the degree program.
For more information on the Graduate Certificate in Applied Project Management, the Graduate Certificate in Advanced Project Management, or the transfer of credit policy for these programs, please contact an enrollment advisor at 1-866-492-5336.
Find detailed information for this program, including possible occupations, completion rate, program costs, and median student loan debt. At the master’s level, Walden University’s Master of Business Administration (MBA) and MS in Accounting are the only programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). The MS in Project Management is not accredited by the ACBSP. Please visit our accreditation page to see the list of Walden accreditations.
†*Eligibility for the PMP® credential requires individuals to first attain specific educational and project management experience, including 35 contact hours of project management education and a minimum of 3 years, or 36 months, of project management experience, during which at least 4,500 hours were spent leading and directing project tasks. The final step in earning the PMP credential is passing the PMP exam. For more information, visit the Project Management Institute (PMI) website at www.pmi.org.
PMI is a registered trademark and service mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
PMBOK is a registered trademark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
PMP is a registered certification mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
Project Management Institute (PMI®), PMBOK (PMBOK® Guide), PMI Registered Education Provider (R.E.P.) Logo, Project Management Professional (PMP®), and PMI Today® are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
At the master’s level, Walden University’s Master of Business Administration (MBA) and MS in Accounting are the only programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). The MS in Project Management is not accredited by the ACBSP. Please visit our accreditation page to see the list of Walden accreditations.
*Project Management Institute (PMI)®, PMI Today®, “Special Section: The Talent Gap,” on the Internet at http://www.pmitoday-digital.com/pmitoday/200906open (viewed online May 24, 2010).