Financial Aid1 and Tuition Help Center

Can I receive a federal financial aid refund?

You may be eligible to receive a refund if your financial aid/scholarships exceed the allowable charges on your student account.

Do I qualify for financial aid?

To receive aid from any of the federal student aid programs administered by Walden University’s Office of Financial Aid, you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen;

  • Have a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent, such as General Educational Development (GED) certificate, or have completed a high school education in an approved homeschool setting;

  • Enroll in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a degree or graduate certificate;

  • Enroll at least half time to be eligible for Direct Loan program funds;

  • Have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau);

  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards, as outlined in Walden's Financial Aid policy;

  • Not be in default on a federal student loan and not owe money (overpayment) on a federal student grant; and

  • Not exceed the lifetime aggregate or annual loan limits without documentation that the debt has been reaffirmed.

Does financial aid pay for books and materials?

You can use your financial aid funds to pay for books and materials, but books are not automatically paid for out of your financial aid. If there is money left on your account after your tuition and fees are paid, you can use the excess funds to cover the cost of books and materials. If you are in need, and your financial aid process is complete, you can request a book advance 30 days before the start of the term. The book advance is an advance on your financial aid funds, up to $500.

Does my company offer tuition reduction for Walden programs?

Walden partners with organizations around the world to help support your educational goals. To find out if your employer partners with Walden, visit or contact an Enrollment Specialist.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Applying for federal financial assistance is a two-part process consisting of (1) completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and notification of eligibility, and (2) acceptance of the financial aid offer and completion of the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and entrance counseling. This process takes approximately two to four weeks from the initial application through the receipt of funds. New students are strongly encouraged to complete the FAFSA at the same time they are applying for admission. Continuing students are required to complete a renewal FAFSA for each award year they are enrolled. A good practice is to complete the renewal FAFSA when it becomes available in October, but at least eight weeks prior to each award year renewal date.

How do I log in to the MyFinAid portal?
  • Open the myWalden portal at (log in with your Walden University e-mail address and password)

  • Choose “Finances”

  • Select “View Your myFinAid Account” to access your personal financial aid account

I filled out the wrong FAFSA, what should I do?

Log back in at and complete the FAFSA for the correct year. If you completed the FAFSA for next year, it will be kept on file for use when next year’s FAFSA is required.

I’ve been accepted but my financial aid hasn’t been offered yet. Why?

Your file is normally reviewed within four weeks of the start of the term. However, the following conditions could affect how long this review will take:

  • If you submit your FAFSA close to or after your start date, it normally takes five business days for the government to send us your information. Once we receive your information, it takes the Office of Financial Aid approximately seven business days to determine your financial aid offer.

  • If you are near your lifetime limit of federal loans, your account must go through a manual review process before we can determine how much financial aid you are eligible to receive. This process takes two weeks from the receipt of your FAFSA. To see if your file requires manual review, go to your myFinAid portal and select the "Documents & Messages” tab.

  • If you are applying for a Graduate PLUS Loan, you must complete a credit application and promissory note with your loan application. We normally receive your credit decision within three business days. It takes an additional 7–14 business days to process your financial aid offer.

What are my payment options?

Credit Card
Walden University accepts Visa, Master Card, Discover or American Express.

Monthly Payment Plans
Walden University offers monthly payment plans with no interest. You can sign up for these plans and make your payments directly through your student portal.

Third-Party Assistance
You may have a third party—i.e., a civic organization, religious group, or your employer—pay for your tuition by submitting a voucher, purchase order, or letter of credit. Make sure you include your name, identification, term and course(s) being sponsored, the amount the sponsor wishes to pay, and the sponsor’s billing address and contact person.

Walden University also accepts ACH (bank transfer), checks, and money orders. Wire remittance forms (domestic and international) are available upon request from the Bursar’s office.

What are some resources for alternative funding opportunities available to nursing students?
What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?

The Office of Financial Aid processes offers on a rolling basis. It is strongly recommended that students complete their Financial Aid Application at the same time they are applying for admission or eight weeks prior to the renewal date of their existing loan. Students must have a complete Financial Aid Application within 30 days prior to the end of the term for funds to be processed for that term or financial aid award year. A complete Financial Aid Application includes all documents required for offering and disbursing financial aid funds.

What is Walden's Title IV Code for financial aid?

Walden’s Title IV Code is 025042.

What will happen to my financial aid if I fail a class?

If you fail a class, your financial aid account will be affected in two ways:

  • You will receive an F grade, which will affect your overall GPA. Keep in mind that you must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA as a graduate student and a 2.0 cumulative GPA if you are an undergraduate student to be eligible to receive financial aid.

  • Your account will have to be reviewed for Return of Title IV Funding.

You should contact the Office of Financial Aid if you fail a class, make an enrollment change, or prior to withdrawing to get a better understanding of how your financial aid will be impacted.

When is funding disbursed?

You can find information regarding the financial aid disbursement process for Course-Based and Tempo Learning® Programs here.

When would I receive my refund?

If there is any money left on your account after your tuition and fees are paid, the Office of the Bursar will send it to you as a refund within 14 days of the disbursement date.

Where can I find the Authorization to Release Information form?

You can find the Authorization to Release Information form here.

Where can I find the Book Advance Request form?

You can find the Book Advance Request form here.

Which FAFSA do I need to fill out?
  • If you started your program on or after May 29, 2023, fill out the 2023–2024 FAFSA.

  • If you are starting your program on or after May 27, 2024, fill out the 2024–2025 FAFSA. 

Why is it recommended that I include my Social Security number (SSN) on the online application for admission?

Walden University respects and understands the importance of privacy and security for our online customers and prospective students. It is important to include your SSN so we can match your admissions application to your FAFSA. Without your SSN we are unable start the financial aid process.

Will I have enough financial aid to pay for my entire program?

A variety of factors impact the overall cost of your program, and availability of financial aid including (but not limited to):

  • Length of time you are in your program

  • Transfer of credit eligibility

  • Fees associated with residencies

  • Cost of books and/or class materials

A Walden Enrollment Specialist can help you determine a personalized estimate of program cost to help guide you in your funding decisions.

Will lack of participation in my program or an enrollment change affect financial aid?

Yes. You must continue to participate in your courses to ensure you receive the entire amount of federal financial aid that has been offered to you. When students enroll for fewer credits in a term, their financial aid may be adjusted at the end of the “add/drop” period to reflect their current enrollment status. Please refer to the Enrollment Policy and Transfer of Credits for Financial Aid to determine your enrollment status.


Contact Support


Chat now with a customer service representative


Speak with a Walden representative


Feel free to email us with any questions


Ask the Walden Facebook community

Placeholder for the "Live Chat" block