According to the US Department of Homeland Security, the demand for criminal justice and security professionals is greater than ever before.* Qualified individuals continue to be needed to lead, educate, and motivate these professionals.
Make a greater impact within your organization and your field with Walden’s online PhD in Criminal Justice, one of the first online criminal justice doctoral programs available to meet the needs of working professionals. You can attain a new level of credibility and influence with an online PhD in Criminal Justice.
Whether you want to pursue leadership roles within the field or begin a career in criminal justice education, our criminal justice PhD program can give you the skills and knowledge you need to embrace exciting new career opportunities.
In this online program, you’ll explore contemporary theory and practice as well as national and international issues in the administration of criminal justice. Taught by seasoned doctoral-level faculty with practical experience in the field, coursework spans topics such as risk factors for criminal behavior, leadership theory, human services, technology and law enforcement, homeland security, and public management. Walden’s online PhD in Criminal Justice gives you the opportunity to integrate scholarly research with your experience to create effective solutions to real-world problems.
Four academic residencies that support your progress at key points in your doctoral journey. Residencies are designed to enhance both your development as a scholar-practitioner and your ability to effect positive social change.
As a graduate of this program, you will be able to:
- Evaluate the root causes of crime and its impact on criminal justice policies, practices, and procedures.
- Evaluate philosophies on managing human resources in criminal justice organizations.
- Synthesize theory and research on the historical trends and current perspectives in criminal justice.
- Apply data analysis techniques and research design methods to scholarly research in criminal justice.
- Evaluate the role of the criminal justice system in advancing social justice and positive social change.
Save Time and Money on Your Degree
- You can automatically reduce your required PhD in Criminal Justice credits and coursework if you have completed your Master of Science in Criminal Justice or a related degree. Reducing required credits in your program will make your education more affordable.
- You can also complete your required PhD in Criminal Justice coursework sooner by transferring your applicable credits.
- Choose the Fast Track Option, if eligible, and earn your degree more quickly by taking additional courses per term.
Find detailed information for this program including possible occupations, completion rate, program costs, and median student loan debt. This information will vary depending on whether you (1) hold a master's degree in criminal justice or related field or (2) hold a master's degree in a discipline unrelated to criminal justice.
*U.S. Department of Homeland Security, “FY 2014 Budget in Brief,” on the internet at https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/MGMT/FY%202014%20BIB%20-%20FINAL%20-508%20Formatted%20(4).pdf (viewed online March 11, 2014).