Walden is among the few universities that offer a CACREP-accredited PhD in counselor education program online.
Gain the knowledge and experience to assume a leadership role in a clinical, community, academic, nonprofit, or research setting or to work as a counselor educator with Walden’s online PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision program.
Change your world and the world of those around you with a Counselor education and supervision PhD program that prepares you with advanced teaching, supervision, and counseling skills that can broaden your ability to advocate for the profession and clients. Reach a significant milestone in your career as you earn one of the most highly respected degrees in the profession and prepare to lead change in the communities and organizations you serve.
The competent and confident counseling professional will:
- Respond appropriately to legal and ethical issues across multiple counselor educator roles.
- Appropriately address multicultural issues across multiple counselor educator roles.
- Apply advanced skills for practice as a counseling professional.
- Create a pedagogical identity reflective of effective teaching practices in counselor education.
- Develop contextually appropriate responses to supervisory situations using evidence based models.
- Critically examine the gatekeeping functions required of counselor educators.
- Critique effective practices of research and scholarship.
- Recommend research designs appropriate to the problem being studied.
- Develop effective leadership skills that promote advocacy.
Read our PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision Program Outcomes Report.
Find detailed information for the Forensic Mental Health Counseling Specialization, General Specialization, or Optional Specializations of this program, including possible occupations, completion rate, program costs, and median student loan debt.
Note on Licensure:
The PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision is not a licensure program and does not prepare an individual to become a licensed counseling professional.