To recognize and support individuals committed to helping underserved populations, Walden University has established the Barbara Solomon Scholarships for Social Work.
Named in honor of the pioneering social worker and Walden board member who dedicated her 50-year career to empowering minority and underserved communities, these scholarships will be awarded to outstanding new students who demonstrate a proven commitment to helping the underserved.
Up to six scholarships will be awarded:
Recipients of this scholarship must:
- Have enrolled in a Walden social work program in 2016.
- Have earned a minimum 3.5 GPA in their previous bachelor’s or master’s program.
- Have not received another merit-based Walden scholarship.
- Not be employed by Laureate Education, Inc., or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates.
- Meet all admission requirements and be fully admitted into one of Walden’s social work programs.
- Call an enrollment advisor at 1-866-492-5336 to request an official scholarship application form.
- Submit an essay of no more than 1,000 words describing:
- Part I
- Past or present service to your community or organization and your impact on social change.
- The underserved population(s) you want to serve and why you wish to serve them. (Underserved populations are people who have difficulty securing, accessing, or maintaining resources for living, such as food, healthcare, shelters, employment, and safety.)
- How the Walden degree will help you achieve this goal.
- Part II
- Recall a previous workplace or local community and reflect on problems or issues that you encountered. How do you think social workers could have helped resolve the issue(s) at hand?
- How would you work with professionals both within and outside the realm of social work to collaboratively address this community issue or problem in your workplace?
- Submit a current copy of your résumé or CV.
- Submit a formal letter of recommendation from a current or former supervisor or professor describing how your passion for social change has made a difference in the lives of others.
- Email the completed application, essay, résumé or CV, and letter of recommendation all together to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- OPTIONAL: You may also submit additional letters of recommendation.
All required information must be provided in order for the application to be considered. Applicants may be contacted by phone to confirm the authenticity of information submitted.
Deadline and Start Dates
This scholarship will have an application deadline of May 30, 2016.
Scholarship Selection Process
A scholarship committee comprising members of Walden University will review the nominations and all submitted application materials and select the scholarship recipients.
Scholarship Announcements and Publicity
Individuals who receive a scholarship must affirm that they are willing and able to participate in all publicity efforts promoting the program by signing a release form that allows Walden University to use the individual’s participation in the program for publicity purposes. Such publicity may include news releases and media advisories, local and national media coverage, media interviews and photos, inclusion on the Walden website and other similar public relations activities. All such materials remain the sole and exclusive property of Walden University.
Full scholarships will be dispersed to cover up to the costs of tuition over the life of the enrolled program starting as soon as the August 29 term start. Other (non-full tuition) scholarship funds will be disbursed over 5 terms beginning in the student’s first term after being awarded the scholarship the full amount has been awarded. Students will not receive cash back at any time. For funds to be disbursed, the student’s records with the Office of Admissions must be complete, including the student’s official transcript. At any given time, if a scholarship disbursement exceeds the cost of tuition, funds will be disbursed in the amount up to the tuition cost. Students will not receive cash if the award amount exceeds their cost of tuition.
Students who withdraw from the program or university or change to another degree program are not eligible for this scholarship and will forfeit the scholarship. Should the scholarship be forfeited, students need not reimburse Walden for funds already disbursed to them. In order for scholarship funding to continue until the award is depleted, recipients must meet the satisfactory academic progress criteria set forth by Walden University’s current catalog for the duration of their program. If a student is in a new semester and forfeited in the previous semester (due to internal lag time), the student will receive a revised bill for the prior semester, in which the scholarship was received.
All recipients who enroll in a Walden program are responsible for the technology fee each term as well. Recipients are responsible for all other non-tuition costs including but not limited to residency travel and other university or program fees as applicable.
This scholarship can be combined with one of the following:
- a limited time savings reduction
- a partnership discount
- a standard tuition reduction
Only one scholarship award can be applied to a student’s tuition.
This scholarship is not managed by Walden University’s Office of Financial Aid. Please call an enrollment advisor at 1-866-492-5336 for more information.