Prepare to change your world and the world of those around you with a BS in Information Technology from Walden.
Our online undergraduate program integrates expertise in the information technology and business fields. It is designed to help you form a solid foundation for long-term career growth and success in today’s global, IT-driven environment.
This online degree program will help equip you with the technical skills you need to succeed in the field, while providing a strong understanding of key managerial and organizational concepts.
Through hands-on lab activities, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with cross-functional teams and problem-solve real-world challenges. You will also gain the added advantage of joining Walden’s diverse learning community—an experience that helps uniquely position you to work in the multicultural, interdisciplinary teams typical of today’s global, IT-driven economy.
The BS in Information Technology is one of the few online programs accredited by ABET, the internationally recognized accreditor for college and university programs in applied science, computing, engineering, and engineering technology.
ABET accreditation also provides:
- Validation that the program meets recognized standards of quality set by the information technology profession.
- Assurance that students are well prepared to enter the information technology profession.
- Recognition of education quality by employers.
As a further mark of quality, Walden has been designated by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education through the year 2019. This designation means that you can:
- Apply for federal scholarships and grants.
- Attend a university with a national reputation for academic excellence in cyber security education.
- Prepare for more opportunities nationwide in government, education, and private sectors.
- Participate in the NSA DAY OF CYBER, which is an interactive, self-guided and fully automated cybersecurity career experience and is free for all students for one year. Students can learn more about careers and roles of cyber security professionals, see what “a day in the life” is like for six NSA Cyber leaders, create a cyber-security resume, and apply for internships and careers.
Graduates of this program will be prepared to:
- Apply mathematical and computing concepts to support programming logic, functions, data structures, and database access.
- Analyze a problem to identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution.
- Design a computer-based system, process, component, or program to meet defined needs.
- Implement the design of a computer-based system, process, component, or program.
- Evaluate the quality of a computer-based system, process, component, or program.
- Work collaboratively as a member of a team to develop and deliver IT solutions.
- Demonstrate an understanding of IT professional, ethical, legal, security, and social issues and responsibilities.
- Communicate effectively, in oral and written form, with IT stakeholders.
- Analyze the impact of IT solutions on individuals, organizations, and global society.
- Engage in continuing professional development based on recognition of its need and value.
- Apply current techniques and tools in the development, deployment, and evaluation of IT solutions.
- Apply current technical concepts and practices in the core information technologies.
- Incorporate user needs in the selection, creation, evaluation, and administration of computer-based systems.
- Integrate technologies, products, and services from multiple sources into a user environment.
- Apply best practices and standards in IT development, deployment, and evaluation processes.
- Formulate a project plan based on appropriate systems development methods and project management practice.
Program Educational Objectives
- Develop information technology solutions to meet the needs of employers and communities in a global society.
- Implement IT projects to satisfy business needs within time, budget and quality constraints.
- Collaborate effectively with a variety of stakeholders to meet user needs.
- Be employed in progressively more responsible positions in the information technology field.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior as information technology professionals.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to the impact of technology on the individual, the organization, and society as an information technology professional.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge in the world of information technology and information-technology-related business practices.
Find detailed information for this program, including possible occupations, completion rate, program costs, and median student loan debt.