In this specialization, you will focus on teaching and learning at the preschool level by exploring developmentally appropriate practices. Building upon theories and types of play, you will learn about curriculum, assessment, and instruction to plan and implement units, lessons, and assessments. After completing the coursework in this specialization, you will improve your ability to meet the diverse needs of families and children, including children with special needs and English language learners.
Tempo Learning® is a self-paced, competency-based format, meaning that your progress is measured by the mastery or demonstration of skills, abilities, and knowledge in a particular area of study.
Each competency we include in your path to a degree has been carefully designed by expert faculty with input from employers, with your education and future employment in mind.
Areas of Expertise and Competency Descriptions
The MS in Early Childhood Studies with a specialization in Teaching and Learning in Early Childhood Settings includes competencies grouped within Areas of Expertise.
Early Childhood Development (EDUC 6160):
- CD001 Theories of Child Development: Demonstrate an understanding of theories and concepts of child development.
- CD002 Knowledge of the Child Development Continuum: Apply knowledge of the child development continuum to support healthy child development and learning.
- CD003 Culture and Language and Its Influence on Development: Explain how culture and language influence children’s behavior and development.
- CD004 Supporting Children With Exceptionalities: Demonstrate an understanding of processes, laws, and resources to support the development of children with exceptionalities.
- CD005 Observing, Documenting, and Assessing Children: Evaluate multiple sources of information to assess individual children in order to plan developmentally appropriate practices that help children progress along the continuum.
Perspectives on Diversity & Equity (EDUC 6164):
- CR001 Culturally Responsive Practices: Recommend culturally responsive practices to promote supportive and respectful partnerships with families and positive outcomes for young children.
- CR002 Impact of Bias and Discrimination on Children, Families, and Communities: Demonstrate an understanding of how bias and discrimination impact children, families, and communities.
- CR003 Access, Equity, and Promoting Change: Apply strategies to promote access, equity, and positive social change for young children, families, and the early childhood field.
Communication & Collaboration In the EC Field (EDUC 6165):
- CC002 Communicating and Collaborating with Colleagues: Use effective communication and collaboration strategies to develop professional learning communities and engage with colleagues and other professionals.
- CC003 Communicating and Collaborating with Families: Use communication and collaboration strategies necessary to build effective partnerships with diverse families.
- CC004 Communicating and Collaborating with Agencies and Government Officials: Use communication and collaboration strategies to advocate and work effectively with agencies and government officials.
Foundations: Early Childhood Studies (EDUC 6005):
- EP001 Use a Systems Perspective to Understand the Whole Child: Use ecological and family systems to understand the whole child and support positive outcomes for children.
- PV001 History and Evolution of the Early Childhood Field: Explain foundational research, history, and evolution of the early childhood field in the U.S. and around the world.
- PV002 Roles, Responsibilities, and Relationships of Early Childhood Professionals: Examine roles, responsibilities, and relationships among early childhood professionals in various sectors/settings within the field.
- PV003 Leadership in the Early Childhood Field: Apply principles of effective leadership to address challenges and opportunities in the early childhood field.
Issues & Trends in the Early Childhood Field (EDUC 6162):
- EP003 Resources and Support in Early Childhood: Identify sources and processes for obtaining funding to support early childhood programs and initiatives.
- PV004 Impact of Current Issues and Trends on the Field: Analyze the implications of issues such as socioeconomic conditions, changing demographics, brain research, and technology on child development and the early childhood field.
- PV005 Commitment to Lifelong Learning and Professionalism: Maintain professional currency related to early childhood policies, issues, and trends.
- RC004 Evaluating Research: Evaluate the quality of early childhood research studies.
Effective Programs & Practices (EDUC 6161):
- EP002 Plan Developmentally Appropriate Curriculum: Create developmentally appropriate curriculum in alignment with professional standards.
- EP004 Evaluating Program Quality: Apply professional standards, guidelines, and tools to evaluate the quality of early childhood programs and identify areas in need of improvement.
- CC001 Engages Families and Communities: Use best practices to engage families and communities in early childhood programs.
Building Research Competencies (EDUC 6163):
- RC001 Research and Advocacy: Use research findings to advocate for children, families, and the early childhood profession.
- RC002 Foundations of Research: Explain key principles and concepts in early childhood research.
- RC003 Research Methodologies: Apply research methodologies appropriate for specific research questions.
- RC005 Developing Research Proposals: Create research proposals to address questions in the early childhood field.
Teaching and Learning Specialization:
- PR001 Developmentally Appropriate Practice for Preschoolers: Identify the principles, components, and misconceptions of developmentally appropriate practices for preschool settings.
- PR002 Play and Learning for Preschoolers: Analyze teaching practices for their effectiveness in supporting learning through play.
- PR003 Preschool Environments That Support Developmentally Appropriate Teaching and Learning: Design preschool environments that support developmentally appropriate teaching and learning.
- PR004 Curriculum Models and Approaches for Preschool: Analyze preschool curriculum for developmentally appropriate models and approaches.
- PR005 Types and Purposes of Developmentally Appropriate Assessment for Preschool: Identify types and purposes of assessments that support teaching and learning in preschool settings.
- PR006 Assessment to Support Teaching and Learning in the Preschool: Select assessments, analyze and communicate assessment results, and use results to inform instruction.
- PR007 Supporting Language and Literacy Development in the Preschool: Plan developmentally appropriate instruction to support language and literacy development for preschool children.
- PR008 Teaching Science and Math in Preschool Settings: Plan developmentally appropriate instruction to support learning in science and math for preschool children.
- PR009 Teaching the Arts, Social Science, and Health in Preschool Settings: Plan developmentally appropriate instruction to support learning in the arts, social science, and health for preschoolers.
Capstone: Practical Application in Early Childhood Field (EDUC 6990):
- CP001 Apply Professional Knowledge and Skills: Synthesize and apply knowledge and skills to address real-world issues or needs in the early childhood field.