Healthcare Management (Competency-Based)
Acquire the leadership and analytical skills you need to identify opportunities, address common challenges, and deliver better patient care in the world’s largest industry—healthcare. In the Healthcare Management competency-based MBA specialization, you will gain a greater understanding of the U.S. healthcare system and the financial management techniques that guide the operation of successful organizations today.
The self-paced competency-based education option is for working professionals, meaning that your progress is measured by the mastery or demonstration of skills, abilities, and knowledge in a particular area of study.
Each competency we include in your path to a degree has been carefully designed by expert faculty with input from employers, with your education and future employment in mind.
Areas of Expertise and Competency Descriptions
The MBA program with a specialization in Healthcare Management includes competencies grouped within Areas of Expertise.
Business Essentials (WMBA 4990):
- BE001 Business Leadership, Management, Business Ethics, and the Legal Environment of Business: Recognize ethical, legal, leadership, and human resource issues in the business environment.
- BE002 Accounting and Finance: Explain key accounting and finance concepts in the business environment.
- BE003 Economics and Quantitative Methods/Statistics: Recognize economic and statistical concepts and methods used in business.
- BE004 Information Systems Management and Global Dimensions of Business: Identify factors that support managing information in a global business environment.
- BE005 Marketing and Business Integration and Strategic Management: Identify the relationship among strategic management, operations management, business integration, and marketing that enhance the effectiveness of marketing efforts.
Fostering a Culture of Innovation (WMBA 6020):
- IG001 Creativity and Innovation in Business: Explain the characteristics of creativity and innovation and the need for both in business today.
- IG002 Leadership and Innovation: Develop a plan to increase one’s ability to foster a culture of creativity and innovation in an organization.
- IG003 Climate for Creativity: Evaluate an organization’s climate for creativity in order to foster innovation.
- IG004 Innovative Solutions in the Workplace: Develop an innovative solution to a workplace challenge using creativity methods and techniques.
Marketing for Competitiveness (WMBA 6060):
- IG005 Marketing Strategy: Create a comprehensive marketing strategy to enhance the performance of products and/or services throughout their life cycles.
- IG006 Market Segmentation Models: Develop viable market segmentation models.
- IG007 Marketing Alignment: Align marketing tactics and/or strategies with company goals, customer expectations, and company policies related to ethics, sustainability, and social responsibility.
Accounting for Management Decision Making (WMBA 6050):
- IG008 Financial Statements and Annual Reports: Articulate the various components and interrelationships of financial statements in annual reports.
- IG009 Accounting Tools and Measures: Use managerial accounting tools appropriately.
- IG010 Accounting Concepts and Practices: Explain certain accounting concepts and practices and their effects on various stakeholders.
- IG011 Communicating Accounting Information: Communicate accounting information appropriately to various stakeholders in support of managerial decision
Dynamic Leadership (WMBA 6000):
- LM001 Leadership Frameworks and Theories: Apply leadership and management frameworks and theories to effectively address business problems and opportunities.
- LM002 Leadership and Followership: Develop strategies for becoming a more effective leader or follower within various organizational contexts.
- LM003 Leadership’s Relationship to Management: Analyze relationships and differences between leadership and managerial behaviors and their potential impact on achievement of organizational goals.
- LM004 Professional and Personal Leadership Planning: Develop a leadership-focused professional and personal growth plan based on reflection, self-assessment, and goal setting, which integrates concepts from documented leadership best practices and frameworks.
Managing People and Promoting Collaboration (WMBA 6010):
- LM005 Managing People: Use effective management practices to enhance an individual’s motivation, job satisfaction, and performance.
- LM006 Developing Individual Employees: Employ strategies to attract, develop, and retain motivated and qualified employees.
- LM007 Building High-Performing Teams: Build high-performing teams that effectively communicate and collaborate.
- LM008 Managing High-Performing Teams: Manage high-performing teams that effectively communicate, collaborate, and resolve conflicts.
- LM009 Applying Ethical Standards: Apply ethical principles when managing people.
Managing Business Information Systems (WMBA 6030):
- SP001 Information Systems and Business Value: Apply knowledge of the components of business information systems and the role of information systems in optimizing business value.
- SP002 Implementing and Using Business Information Systems: Partner with information technology (IT) to assess organizational, cultural, and technical contexts and effectively implement and use business information systems.
- SP003 Risk Management and Business Information Systems: Assess information systems security and legal and ethical risks and develop plans for mitigating information systems risks.
Improving Business Performance (WMBA 6040):
- SP004 Systems Thinking for Organizational Improvement: Apply systems components, modeling, leverage points, and interventions to improve system performance.
- SP005 Process Tools and Frameworks: Evaluate the systemic causes of problems in organizational performance and develop solutions using concepts from the theory of constraints.
- SP006 Organizational Improvement Planning: Develop an integrated plan for improving organizational performance through appropriate interventions using systems thinking and business process improvement tools.
Managerial Finance (WMBA 6070):
- SF001 Multiple Perspectives on Financial Management: Profile a publicly traded company’s practices related to ethics, social responsibility, and global influence through the lens of financial management.
- SF002 Executive Dashboard: Conduct financial ratio analysis to understand a company’s financial health and analyze ways to improve in areas revealed as being below industry average.
- SF003 Sources and Uses of Short-Term Capital: Use multiple techniques to evaluate short-term working capital position and needs.
- SF004 Sources and Uses of Long-Term Capital: Use multiple techniques to evaluate long-term capital position and needs.
Capstone- Sustainable Business Practices and Strategies (WMBA 6990):
- SF005 Strategic Situation Analyses: Perform strategic situation analyses and make recommendations to senior leadership with respect to strategy development and execution.
- SF006 Strategic Action Planning: Create an original strategy playbook and scorecard to guide rigorous strategic analysis of an organization.
- SF007 Self-Reflection and Continued Professional Growth: Develop an integrative professional and personal growth plan based on self-assessment and reflection.
Specialization: Healthcare Management
The United States Healthcare Delivery System (WMBA 6602/MMHA 6050):
- HE002 History of the U.S. Healthcare System: Explain how historic forces have shaped the present-day healthcare system.
- HE003 Delivery of Services: Explain the healthcare delivery system in the United States.
- HE004 Healthcare Funding in the U.S.: Explain how healthcare in the United States is funded.
- HE005 Key Drivers of Change: Analyze the impact of societal, business, and global trends on the healthcare industry.
Law, Ethics, and Policy in Healthcare Administration (WMBA 6604/MMHA 6300):
- LE001 Legal Requirements and Ethics: Summarize legal mandates and ethical principles to address complex challenges, manage risk, and advance organizational integrity.
- LE002 Healthcare Policy: Analyze the healthcare policy-making process for improving the health status of populations.
- LE003 Adapting Internal Policies and Practices: Adapt internal policies and practices to align with changes to healthcare laws and regulations.
Healthcare Financial Management and Economics (WMBA 6608/MMHA 6400):
- LE004 Analyzing Policies From Diverse Perspectives: Analyze a policy from diverse perspectives held by policymakers, interest groups, healthcare administrators, and other stakeholders to assess impact on an organization.
- FM004 Economic Concepts in the Healthcare Industry: Apply key economic concepts and theories in the healthcare context.
- FM005 Economic Characteristics of the Healthcare Industry: Apply economic concepts to make recommendations for organizational decisions.
- FM006 Conduct an Operational Analysis: Conduct operational analyses to ensure operational efficiency and financial viability.
- FM007 Analyze Financial Data: Make recommendations for organizational decisions based on analyses of financial data.