In Walden’s BS in Business Communication program, you can explore fundamental business principles while studying the latest communication strategies and techniques.
This online business communication degree program focuses on helping you gain the practical skills you need to advance within your current organization or to position yourself for a career in a variety of fields, including marketing, public relations, human resources, advertising, or organizational training and development, so you can change your world and the world of those around you.
In this cross-disciplinary degree program, you can gain an understanding of how to:
- Use relevant and emerging technology to develop a social media campaign.
- Strengthen working relationships by enhancing interpersonal and group communication and improving clarity and effectiveness in your messages.
- Apply creativity and innovative thinking while analyzing real-world problems.
- Maximize your ability to negotiate and influence others.
Highlights of the BS in Business Communication Program:
As a student in this program, you will have the opportunity to:
- Explore core business areas such as management and leadership, information systems, and business law.
- Craft and deliver effective and strategic messaging through various forms of media.
- Apply fundamental business principles and practices to solve business problems in a real-world context.
- Examine the complex communicative behaviors that occur in diverse settings and assess your own communication style.
- Discover the powerful role new media plays in the world of communication and why it’s one of the fastest-growing market needs in today’s dynamic work world.
- Put your communication skills into practice with a capstone course in which you will develop a comprehensive, strategic communications plan.
- Challenge your thinking by collaborating with students around the country—or even around the world—who share your passion for learning.
- Enjoy a successful student experience with help from Walden’s Student Support Team, which can help you balance your educational, personal, and professional goals.
At Walden, you can choose when, where, and how you learn thanks to our online format and MobileLearn®. Through this education technology, you can listen to coursework on your MP3 player, access your classroom from your iPhone, download coursework to your laptop, and more.
Graduates of the BS in Business Communication program will be prepared to:
- Use fundamental business principles and practices to solve business problems in a real-world context.
- Demonstrate an awareness of their own values, dispositions, and communication styles through their personal and professional communication.
- Apply technology to enable digital communication in professional settings.
- Demonstrate economic, political, legal, ethical, and socially aware strategies in their communications with both local and global audiences.
- Utilize a systems perspective to optimize organizational, community, and global communication.
- Employ critical-thinking skills in selecting communication strategies that are appropriate considering the diversity of the audience.
- Examine communication strategies necessary to promote social change.
Meet the Growing Demand
Whether you are pursuing a career in business or broadening your career options in a variety of communication fields, a BS in Business Communication from Walden can help prepare you for success.
There remains a growing demand for professionals in human resources, public relations, advertising and marketing, social media/communications, and related fields. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that more than 835,000 jobs exist today in these areas, with 13% growth projected between 2010 and 2020.*
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010–20 Edition, on the Internet at www.bls.gov/ooh (viewed online October 9, 2012). National long-term projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Find detailed information for this program, including possible occupations, completion rate, program costs, and median student loan debt.