Acquire the leadership and analytical skills you need to identify opportunities, address common challenges, and deliver better patient care in the world’s largest industry—healthcare. In the Healthcare Management specialization, you will gain a greater understanding of the U.S. healthcare system and the financial management techniques that guide the operation of successful organizations today.
Tempo Learning™ is a self-paced, competency-based education option for working professionals, meaning that your progress is measured by the mastery or demonstration of skills, abilities, and knowledge in a particular area of study.
Each competency we include in your path to a degree has been carefully designed by expert faculty with input from employers, with your education and future employment in mind.
Areas of Expertise and Competency Descriptions
The MBA program with a specialization in Healthcare Management includes competencies grouped within Areas of Expertise.
Fostering a Culture of Innovation (WMBA 6020):
- IG001 Creativity and Innovation in Business: Explain the characteristics of creativity and innovation and the need for both in business today.
- IG002 Leadership and Innovation: Develop a plan to increase one’s ability to foster a culture of creativity and innovation in an organization.
- IG003 Climate for Creativity: Evaluate an organization’s climate for creativity in order to foster innovation.
- IG004 Innovative Solutions in the Workplace: Develop an innovative solution to a workplace challenge using creativity methods and techniques.
Marketing for Competitiveness (WMBA 6060):
- IG005 Marketing Strategy: Create a comprehensive marketing strategy to enhance the performance of products and/or services throughout their life cycles.
- IG006 Market Segmentation Models: Develop viable market segmentation models.
- IG007 Marketing Alignment: Align marketing tactics and/or strategies with company goals, customer expectations, and company policies related to ethics, sustainability, and social responsibility.
Accounting for Management Decision Making (WMBA 6050):
- IG008 Financial Statements and Annual Reports: Articulate the various components and interrelationships of financial statements in annual reports.
- IG009 Accounting Tools and Measures: Use managerial accounting tools appropriately.
- IG010 Accounting Concepts and Practices: Explain certain accounting concepts and practices and their effects on various stakeholders.
- IG011 Communicating Accounting Information: Communicate accounting information appropriately to various stakeholders in support of managerial decision
Dynamic Leadership (WMBA 6000):
- LM001 Leadership Frameworks and Theories: Apply leadership and management frameworks and theories to effectively address business problems and opportunities.
- LM002 Leadership and Followership: Develop strategies for becoming a more effective leader or follower within various organizational contexts.
- LM003 Leadership’s Relationship to Management: Analyze relationships and differences between leadership and managerial behaviors and their potential impact on achievement of organizational goals.
- LM004 Professional and Personal Leadership Planning: Develop a leadership-focused professional and personal growth plan based on reflection, self-assessment, and goal setting, which integrates concepts from documented leadership best practices and frameworks.
Managing People and Promoting Collaboration (WMBA 6010):
- LM005 Managing People: Use effective management practices to enhance an individual’s motivation, job satisfaction, and performance.
- LM006 Developing Individual Employees: Employ strategies to attract, develop, and retain motivated and qualified employees.
- LM007 Building High-Performing Teams: Build high-performing teams that effectively communicate and collaborate.
- LM008 Managing High-Performing Teams: Manage high-performing teams that effectively communicate, collaborate, and resolve conflicts.
- LM009 Applying Ethical Standards: Apply ethical principles when managing people.
Managing Business Information Systems (WMBA 6030):
- SP001 Information Systems and Business Value: Apply knowledge of the components of business information systems and the role of information systems in optimizing business value.
- SP002 Implementing and Using Business Information Systems: Partner with information technology (IT) to assess organizational, cultural, and technical contexts and effectively implement and use business information systems.
- SP003 Risk Management and Business Information Systems: Assess information systems security and legal and ethical risks and develop plans for mitigating information systems risks.
Improving Business Performance (WMBA 6040):
- SP004 Systems Thinking for Organizational Improvement: Apply systems components, modeling, leverage points, and interventions to improve system performance.
- SP005 Process Tools and Frameworks: Evaluate the systemic causes of problems in organizational performance and develop solutions using concepts from the theory of constraints.
- SP006 Organizational Improvement Planning: Develop an integrated plan for improving organizational performance through appropriate interventions using systems thinking and business process improvement tools.
Managerial Finance (WMBA 6070):
- SF001 Multiple Perspectives on Financial Management: Profile a publicly traded company’s practices related to ethics, social responsibility, and global influence through the lens of financial management.
- SF002 Executive Dashboard: Conduct financial ratio analysis to understand a company’s financial health and analyze ways to improve in areas revealed as being below industry average.
- SF003 Sources and Uses of Short-Term Capital: Use multiple techniques to evaluate short-term working capital position and needs.
- SF004 Sources and Uses of Long-Term Capital: Use multiple techniques to evaluate long-term capital position and needs.
Capstone- Sustainable Business Practices and Strategies (WMBA 6990):
- SF005 Strategic Situation Analyses: Perform strategic situation analyses and make recommendations to senior leadership with respect to strategy development and execution.
- SF006 Strategic Action Planning: Create an original strategy playbook and scorecard to guide rigorous strategic analysis of an organization.
- SF007 Self-Reflection and Continued Professional Growth: Develop an integrative professional and personal growth plan based on self-assessment and reflection.
Specialization: Healthcare Management
The United States Healthcare Delivery System (WMBA 6602/MMHA 6050):
- HE002 History of the U.S. Healthcare System: Explain how historic forces have shaped the present-day healthcare system.
- HE003 Delivery of Services: Explain the healthcare delivery system in the United States.
- HE004 Healthcare Funding in the U.S.: Explain how healthcare in the United States is funded.
- HE005 Key Drivers of Change: Analyze the impact of societal, business, and global trends on the healthcare industry.
Law, Ethics, and Policy in Healthcare Administration (WMBA 6604/MMHA 6300):
- LE001 Legal Requirements and Ethics: Summarize legal mandates and ethical principles to address complex challenges, manage risk, and advance organizational integrity.
- LE002 Healthcare Policy: Analyze the healthcare policy-making process for improving the health status of populations.
- LE003 Adapting Internal Policies and Practices: Adapt internal policies and practices to align with changes to healthcare laws and regulations.
Healthcare Financial Management and Economics (WMBA 6608/MMHA 6400):
- LE004 Analyzing Policies From Diverse Perspectives: Analyze a policy from diverse perspectives held by policymakers, interest groups, healthcare administrators, and other stakeholders to assess impact on an organization.
- FM004 Economic Concepts in the Healthcare Industry: Apply key economic concepts and theories in the healthcare context.
- FM005 Economic Characteristics of the Healthcare Industry: Apply economic concepts to make recommendations for organizational decisions.
- FM006 Conduct an Operational Analysis: Conduct operational analyses to ensure operational efficiency and financial viability.
- FM007 Analyze Financial Data: Make recommendations for organizational decisions based on analyses of financial data.