In recognition of extraordinary accomplishments in public health, and to honor public health professionals, the Advancing Public Health Excellence (APEX) Scholarships will be awarded to individuals who have created positive social change by promoting healthier and safer local, national or international communities.
The APEX Scholarships award public health leaders who are enrolling in Walden’s Master of Public Health (MPH) program with one full-tuition† scholarship and two $10,000† scholarships.
Recipients of the Advancing Public Health Excellence Scholarship must:
- Be a new student enrolling in a Walden University program and start between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Have not received another merit-based Walden scholarship before January 1, 2018.
- See Scholarship Funding details below for information regarding any merit-based Walden scholarship received after January 1, 2018.
- Not be employed by Laureate Education Inc. or any of its subsidiaries.
- Excluding Graduate Assistants employed by Walden University, who are eligible for this scholarship
- Meet all admission requirements with the university in receipt of all of the applicant’s official documentation and be fully admitted into the eligible program.
- Affirm that they are willing and able to participate in all publicity efforts promoting Walden University and its programs.
Scholarship Criteria and Application Process
- Call an enrollment advisor at 855-646-5286.
- Write an essay of no more than 1,000 words describing how you contributed to advancing positive social change in one or more of the following areas:
- Influencing the lives of others
- Mentoring a colleague
- Making a positive impact in your community
- Submit a current copy of their résumé or CV.
- Complete the electronic scholarship application and attach your essay and résumé.
All required information must be provided in order for a nomination to be considered. Applicants may be contacted by phone to confirm the authenticity of information submitted.
Deadline and Start Dates
This scholarship will have an application deadline of May 31, 2018.
- Winners will be announced in August 2018.
- Scholarship winners, if not already enrolled in 2018, must enroll and start classes before December 31, 2018 or the scholarship will be forfeited.
Scholarship Selection Process
A scholarship committee comprising members of Walden University will review the nominations and all submitted application materials and select the scholarship recipients.
Scholarship Announcements and Publicity
Individuals who receive a scholarship must affirm that they are willing and able to participate in all publicity efforts promoting the program by signing a release form that allows Walden University to use the individual’s participation in the program for publicity purposes. Such publicity may include news releases and media advisories, local and national media coverage, media interviews and photos, inclusion on the Walden website and other similar public relations activities. All such materials remain the sole and exclusive property of Walden University.
Full scholarships will be dispersed to cover up to the costs of tuition over the life of the enrolled program starting as soon as the August term start. Other (non-full tuition) scholarship funds will be disbursed over 5 terms beginning in the student’s first term after being awarded the scholarship until the full amount has been awarded. If a student has a previous merit-based Walden scholarship that was received after January 1, 2018, dispersements from the previous scholarship will end simultaneously to funds from a higher value merit-based scholarship being applied.
Scholarship funds will not be applied to any past due balance or outstanding bills or charges. Students will not receive cash back at any time. For funds to be disbursed, the student’s records with the Office of Admissions must be complete, including the student’s official transcript. At any given time, if a scholarship disbursement exceeds the cost of tuition, funds will be disbursed in the amount up to the tuition cost.
Students who withdraw from the program or university or change to another degree program are not eligible for this scholarship and will forfeit the scholarship. Should the scholarship be forfeited, students need not reimburse Walden for funds already disbursed to them. In order for scholarship funding to continue until the award is depleted, recipients must meet the satisfactory academic progress criteria set forth by Walden University’s current catalog for the duration of their program. If a student is in a new semester and forfeited in the previous semester (due to internal lag time), the student will receive a revised bill for the prior semester, in which the scholarship was received.
All recipients who enroll in a Walden program are responsible for the technology fee each term as well. Recipients are responsible for all other non-tuition costs including but not limited to residency travel and other university or program fees as applicable.
This scholarship can be combined with the First Residency without Residency Fee Offer and one other tuition reduction, such as, but not limited to, one of the following:
If a student has more than one tuition reductions (excluding the First Residency without Residency Fee Offer) applying to their account when being awarded a scholarship, the tuition reduction with the highest life-time value will be retained, and dispersements from all other tuition reductions will end simultaneously the start of the scholarship fund dispersements.
Only one scholarship award can be applied to a student’s tuition.
This scholarship is not managed by Walden University’s Office of Financial Aid. Please call an enrollment advisor at 855-646-5286 for more information.
†Some restrictions apply. See scholarship eligibility and funding for more information.