To receive a TEACH grant
To maintain eligibility during college
To maintain eligibility after college
To renew a TEACH grant
To receive a Federal TEACH Grant, you must meet the following criteria:
Current programs no longer eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant:
MS in Education with a specialization in one of the following:
- Elementary Reading and Literacy (PreK–6)
- Elementary Reading and Literacy (PreK–6) (accelerated)
- Elementary Reading and Mathematics (Grades K–6)
- Elementary Reading and Mathematics (Grades K–6) (accelerated)
- Mathematics (Grades K–6)
- Mathematics (Grades 5–8)
- Mathematics and Science (Grades K–8)
- Science (Grades K–8)
- Special Education (Non-Licensure) (Grades K–12)
- Special Education (Non-Licensure) (Grades K–12) accelerated
- Teaching English Language Learners (Grades K–12)
†Walden University’s teacher preparation program is approved by the Minnesota Board of Teaching for licensure in Minnesota. Walden’s enrollment specialists can provide individuals with guidelines and other information about licensure. It remains the individual’s responsibility to understand and comply with the out-of-state licensure requirements for the state in which he or she seeks to be licensed.
Prospective Alabama students: Contact the Teacher Education and Certification Division of the Alabama State Department of Education at 1-334-353-8567 or www.alsde.edu to verify that these programs qualify for teacher certification, endorsement, and/or salary benefits.
Prospective Washington State students are advised to contact the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction at 1-360-725-6320 or firstname.lastname@example.org to determine whether Walden’s programs in the field of education are approved for teacher certification or endorsement in Washington State. Additionally, teachers are advised to contact their individual school district as to whether this program may qualify for salary advancement.
During college, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a degree-seeking student.
- Take coursework necessary to complete teacher certification in a high-need field.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- To maintain TEACH Grant eligibility, TEACH Grant recipients must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher at the end of each semester. A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher at the end of each semester is required if a student has prior work experience as a teacher.
In order to maintain grant status after graduation or otherwise ceasing enrollment in a grant-eligible program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Complete the TEACH Grant Exit Counseling within 30 days of graduating.
- Serve as a full-time teacher in a low-income school, as a highly-qualified teacher, and in a high-need field for at least 4 years within 8 calendar years of leaving the program for which you received the Federal TEACH Grant. For a listing of schools and teaching fields that qualify, visit the Nationwide List for the state in which you intend to teach.
- Write to the Secretary of Education (within 120 days of completing or otherwise leaving the program of study for which the Federal TEACH Grant was received) confirming that you are employed as a full-time teacher in accordance with the terms of the Federal TEACH Grant, or you are not yet employed as a full-time teacher but intend to meet the terms of the TEACH Grant service agreement.
- Upon completion of each year of teaching service, submit documentation of the service in the form of a certification by a chief administrative officer of the school.
- Comply with all other terms, conditions, and requirements that the Secretary of Education determines to be necessary.
To renew your Federal TEACH Grant for the MAT program, submit the following:
Failure to complete the teaching service obligation, respond to requests for information, or properly document your teaching service or otherwise lose eligibility for the grant will cause the TEACH Grant funds received to be permanently converted to a Direct Unsubsidized Loan with interest.
For more information on the rules and regulations regarding this grant, please visit the U.S. Department of Education’s website at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/grants-scholarships/teach
For more information about Walden’s eligible programs or meeting the TEACH Grant conditions please email Walden’s certification officer at email@example.com.