Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is reviewed after each period of enrollment for all students at the end of a payment period. Please be aware these requirements are separate and distinct from the university’s academic progress requirements for academic continuance.

To continue receiving federal financial aid, you must meet the following minimum standards:

Program Type Minimum Financial Aid Course Completion Rate (Pace) Minimum Cumulative Financial Aid GPA Maximum Time Frame to Receive Federal Aid
Bachelor’s degree  67%  2.0 272 financial aid attempted credits
Master’s degree  67%  3.0 20 quarters or 15 semesters
Doctoral degree  67%  3.0 32 quarters or 24 semesters
Stand Alone Quarter Based Certificates  67%  3.0 1-29 credit program
8 quarters
30-45 credit program
12 quarters 
Stand Alone Semester Based Certificates
 67%  3.0 1-19 credit program
6 semesters
20-30 credit program
9 semesters 
Education Specialist  67%  3.0 20 quarters or 15 semesters
Teacher preparation (without master’s degree option)  67%  3.0 56 financial aid attempted credits
Endorsement (without master’s degree option)  67%  3.0 32 financial aid attempted credits
Preparatory coursework  67%  2.0 12 consecutive months

Loss of Federal Financial Aid Eligibility due to SAP

If you do not meet SAP requirements, you will receive written notification in your Walden University email account with details that you have been placed on financial aid warning status. Upon receiving this status, you will have one payment period to return to the standards listed above. If you do not meet these standards, you may appeal for a one additional period of financial aid probation. If the appeal is not granted, you will become ineligible for federal financial aid.

If you become ineligible to receive federal financial aid but remain in compliance with the academic progress standards for continuance of your program, you are not withdrawn from the program. In this situation, you must arrange for alternative payment with the Office of the Bursar by the appropriate tuition due date. You may also apply for Private educational loans if you lose federal aid eligibility.

Learn more about Satisfactory Academic Progress policies and requirements in the Office of Financial Aid Terms and Conditions.

Do you have questions about financial aid? If you haven’t yet applied to Walden, please contact an enrollment advisor at 855-646-5286 in the United States. If you are a current student, please contact a financial aid advisor at or call 1-800-WALDENU (1-800-925-3368).

Man sitting at latop
Questions about paying for your education or limited time savings options?
Questions about paying for your education or limited time savings options?
We're here to help. Talk to your personal enrollment advisor for more information today. Please use our International Form if you live outside of the U.S.
We're here to help. Talk to your personal enrollment advisor for more information today. Please use our Domestic Form if you live in the U.S.
*Required Field
Academic Interests
Contact Information
Invalid email address
Please provide a valid phone number
Please provide a valid zipcode
Additional Information
Get Started

By submitting this form, I understand and agree that Walden University may contact me via email, text, telephone, and prerecorded message regarding furthering my education and that calls may be generated using automated technology. You may opt out at any time. Please view our privacy policy or contact us for more details.


By checking this box, I agree that Walden University may contact me by email, text message, autodialed telephone call, and prerecorded message at the contact information provided above regarding opportunities and offers to further my education. I understand that I may withdraw my consent at any time and that my consent is not a condition of any purchase. I have received the Walden University Privacy Policy