Explore Our Online PhD in Developmental Psychology Program
In Walden’s online PhD in Developmental Psychology program, you can gain and apply advanced knowledge of human growth and development across the lifespan to empower others as a researcher, teacher, or consultant.
In our online PhD in Developmental Psychology program, you will apply the latest theories, research, and best practices in human development to promote positive change in the lives of individuals, families, and communities. Strengthen your understanding of the interaction between cognitive, physical, emotional, social, health, and cultural aspects of development to help others overcome critical challenges.
Why Earn Your PhD in Developmental Psychology From Walden?
- Automatically waive six courses if you have earned a master’s degree in a related field*, shortening you journey to a PhD.
- With Walden, you have the opportunity to study in a full doctoral program focused on developmental psychology. You can choose the General Program or seven specializations to tailor your study to what interests you most.
- The program’s coursework addresses many of today’s most relevant issues. You will study topics such as development in the digital age and critical issues faced by populations such as children, the LGBTQ community, and the elderly.
- You can gain a global perspective in a diverse community of faculty and students as you study international topics such as mass migration and refugee crises.
- Synthesize theory and research in the physical, cognitive, emotional, health, social, and cultural aspects of human development.
- Articulate the history of developmental psychology and how the specialty of developmental psychology is unique.
- Develop an identity as a developmental psychologist.
- Evaluate how key issues and seminal works within the field of developmental psychology (including the areas of the physical, cognitive, emotional, social, and cultural aspects of human development) apply to human development across the lifespan.
- Produce independent scholarly research utilizing basic and advanced research methods.
- Apply theory and research in the practice of a developmental psychologist.
- Synthesize developmental psychology theory and research in the areas of cognitive, neurological, emotional, physical, social, and cultural aspects of human development.
- Apply evidence-based developmental psychology research in various institutions and organizations concerned with issues impacting human development.
- Describe experiences and perspectives of diverse populations—including but not limited to race, culture, socioeconomics, age, gender, sexual orientation, and disability—from a developmental psychology perspective.
- Apply relevant ethical codes (e.g., APA) in developmental psychology research practice and work settings.
- Discuss how social/political issues, policies, and events impact the field of developmental psychology.
- Engage in professional activities related to developmental psychology that promote positive social change.
Save Time and Money on Your Degree
The ability to transfer credit at Walden can give you a more seamless, effective, and cost-efficient way to continue your education. Complete your required coursework sooner by transferring applicable required graduate credits into a Walden degree program.
Find detailed information for this program, including possible occupations, completion rate, program costs, and median student loan debt.
*Master’s Degree in Developmental Psychology or Master’s Degree in Psychology
Note on Licensure:
The PhD in Developmental Psychology is not a licensure program and does not prepare an individual to become a licensed psychology professional.