As a Walden EdD student, you will have access to Grand City, an interactive multimedia simulation. You will have a chance to apply what you learn in a virtual environment and learn to resolve true-to-life challenges you will face in your career as an educator.
In course assignments and discussions throughout your program, you will explore authentic scenarios in Grand City to:
- Delve into the roles, responsibilities, and ongoing challenges at education and community centers.
- Hear perspectives from community members and stakeholders.
- Propose solutions to complex issues facing education professionals.
Try it out for yourself. Take a tour of some of the features of Grand City. In the demo, click on the highlighted locations to explore various simulated challenges, and follow the prompts for each one. Some will open videos, and others will open new tabs in your browser. Available locations include:
Chester Middle School
See how teachers and stakeholders grapple with issues ranging from graduation rates to social justice. The new reading specialist, Shane Tatum, is working to make a positive difference at the school.
West Ridge Middle School
- Observation Meeting: Consider how you would advocate as a special educator after hearing general educators share observations about a new student.
- Teacher’s Lounge: Reflect on your ethical responsibilities as a special educator after overhearing teachers discussing your student in the teacher’s lounge.
- Microaggressions: Take the quiz to determine whether a statement is innocent or a microaggression.
- Privilege Walk: Answer a questionnaire to learn how certain factors result in more or less privilege.
Grand City University: Administration Office
- Introduce Change Process: Analyze the options as Grand City University considers a number of initiatives to improve student success and retention.
- Environmental Scan—Dr. Haddix: Watch as Dr. Haddix, campus leader, presents an overview of the efforts his office is making to support students.