National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements logo

Walden University is a registered institution in its home state of Minnesota and is also an approved institutional member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). As a SARA member; Walden adheres to an established set of standards for offering post-secondary distance education among SARA member states, districts and territories. Participation in SARA is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state. For more information about SARA, including the states currently participating in the agreement, please visit

Walden University is currently authorized, licensed, registered, exempt or not subject to approval in all states not currently participating in SARA. Some states have required that the following statements be listed below:

Some states require that universities authorized to operate in their state print the following statements:


Prospective students from Florida may obtain additional information regarding Walden University by contacting the Commission on Independent Education, Florida Department of Education, 325 West Gaines Street, Suite 1414, Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400; 1-888-224-6684. Credits and degrees earned from this college do not automatically qualify the holder to participate in professional licensing examinations to practice certain professions in Florida. Persons interested in practicing a regulated profession in Florida should contact the appropriate state regulatory agency in the field of their interest.


Walden University, in collaboration with Kendall College, has become an approved sub-contractor for providing professional development courses which meet the professional development requirements for Illinois licensure. Beginning July, 2015 Illinois teachers can apply Walden University coursework and credits for programs or courses as it relates to their individualized professional development plan. An official Walden transcript meets the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) requirement for documentation of ISBE professional development clock hours.


Not all of the online programs offered by our institution have been approved in Kentucky.  Please check the Council on Postsecondary Education’s website at to view its listing of approved programs.  For more information, please contact the Council on Postsecondary Education, 1024 Capital Center Drive, Suite 320, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601. 

Please be advised that our educator preparation programs are not accredited in Kentucky by the Education Professional Standards Board and are not recognized for initial, additional, or renewal of certification or salary enhancement (rank change) for K-12 educators in Kentucky.  For more information, please visit the Education Professional Standards Board’s website at


Walden University is a registered institution in the State of Maryland. Any complaints can be directed to the Office of the Attorney General of the Maryland Higher Education Commission, 200 St. Paul Place Baltimore, MD 21202; 1-888-743-0023.


Walden University is registered as a private institution with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.

South Carolina

Licensed by the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education, 1333 Main St., Suite 200, Columbia, SC 29201; 1-803-737-2260. Licensure indicates only that minimum standards have been met; and it is not equal to or synonymous with accreditation by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Walden University’s Richard W. Riley College of Education and Leadership has been approved by the South Carolina Department of Education to provide coursework that meets the South Carolina Read to Succeed and state in-service guidelines.


While Walden University is not regulated in Texas per Chapter 132 of the Texas Education Code, the university is registered as a private institution with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions. To report concerns and/or complaints students may contact the Minnesota Office of Higher Education at 651-642-0567.

Note to Texas Residents
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) requires all institutions to have a published grievance procedure that describes the process for filing a complaint. Walden University’s student complaint procedures can be found at the following link:

Students who have exhausted the institution’s grievance procedures may file a complaint with THECB by completing the forms found at the following link:

The rules governing complaints student complaints in Texas can be found in Title 19 of the Texas Administrative Code, Sections 1.110-1.120:$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=19&pt=1&ch=1&rl=116