Walden University Adds New Psychology Specializations to Online Master’s and Doctoral Programs
Posted on August 17, 2011
Minneapolis—August 17, 2011—To meet the continually evolving needs in the field of psychology, Walden University’s School of Psychology is adding new specializations in its online MS in Psychology and PhD in Psychology degree programs, which are designed to help professionals meet their career goals and gain expertise and credentials to help others. In addition, many specializations in these programs have been redesigned to offer the latest curriculum, including new courses that employ unique instructional tools designed to facilitate interactive, engaging learning experiences.
Some of the new offerings include:
- PhD in Psychology with a specialization in Social Psychology: This program—the first of its kind available online—gives students the opportunity to expand their understanding of how social factors influence human psychology and behavior. Students apply their knowledge of social psychological theory to conduct research on such important social issues as social cognition, attitudes, interpersonal processes and group dynamics.
- PhD in Psychology with a specialization in Forensic Psychology: Students develop a greater understanding of the criminal justice system and the mental health issues that drive many aspects of criminal behavior. They gain the skills needed to prepare for a career as a researcher or consultant in law enforcement, government, education and nonprofit sectors.
- PhD in Psychology with a specialization in Educational Psychology: Students in the program contribute to the field of education through independent, professional research and their understanding of key psychological theories affecting issues related to the learning experiences of both high achievers and individuals with specialized needs. This specialization can prepare graduates to become a higher education faculty member, educational psychologist, researcher, program administrator or consultant.
- MS in Psychology with a specialization in Educational Psychology: This program gives students a multicultural perspective to help them understand, evaluate and apply research and to gain the skills and knowledge to enhance their work in the classroom and other educational settings.
- MS in Psychology with a specialization in Applied Psychology: Students explore the fundamentals of psychology, including methods, theory and principles of the field, while learning about psychopathology, intervention and principles of ethics in professional psychology practice. This specialization offers a broad exposure to the field of psychology, including both research and practice-oriented elements of the profession.
Students can choose from a total 14 specializations in Walden’s MS in Psychology and eight in the PhD in Psychology. Other offerings in Walden’s portfolio of psychology programs include the BS in Psychology, BS in Forensic Psychology, MS in Clinical Psychology, MS in Forensic Psychology and psychology certificates. For more information, go to www.WaldenU.edu/psychology.
About Walden University
For more than 40 years, Walden University has supported working professionals in achieving their academic goals and making a greater impact in their professions and their communities. Today, more than 46,500 students from all 50 states and more than 120 countries are pursuing their bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degrees online at Walden. The university provides students with an engaging educational experience that connects them with expert faculty and peers around the world. Walden is the flagship online university in the Laureate International Universities network—a global network of 57 campus-based and online universities in 28 countries.
Walden offers more than 60 degree programs with more than 300 specializations and concentrations. Areas of study include health sciences, counseling, human services, management, psychology, education, public health, nursing, public administration and information technology. For more information, visit www.WaldenU.edu. Walden University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association, www.hlcommission.org.