To show our appreciation for the positive difference you make as a nurse, Walden University has established the Nurses of the Year scholarship program. This program recognizes registered nurses who are making a positive difference in the lives of their patients, their organizations, and the future of nursing.
The Nurses of the Year scholarships recognize registered nurses who are enrolling as new students in one of our nursing programs, the CCNE-accredited Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Completion Program, the CCNE-accredited Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), the CCNE-accredited Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), or the Ph.D. in Nursing for any start date from September through December 2014.* These scholarships will be awarded to prospective students who have made a positive difference in the life of a patient, a healthcare organization, or the practice of nursing. The following scholarships will be awarded:
Nursing Advocate—One full-tuition scholarship and two $10,000 scholarships to students who enroll in the CCNE-accredited Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program
Nursing Leader—One full-tuition scholarship and two $10,000 scholarships to students who enroll in the CCNE-accredited Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program
Nursing Executive—One full-tuition scholarship and two $10,000 scholarships to students who enroll in the CCNE-accredited Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program
Nursing Visionary—One full-tuition scholarship and two $10,000 scholarships to students who enroll in the Ph.D. in Nursing program
To be eligible you must:
- Be fully accepted into Walden’s Ph.D. in Nursing, CCNE-accredited DNP, CCNE-accredited MSN, or CCNE-accredited BSN program to ensure admission requirements can be met.
- Not received another merit-based Walden scholarship.
- Not be employed by Laureate Education, Inc. or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates.
- Not be currently enrolled in a Walden University program
- Call an enrollment advisor at 1-866-492-5336 to request an official scholarship application form.
- Submit an essay of no more than 1,000 words that describes how you have made a positive change in the life of a patient or a healthcare organization, improved patient outcomes, or advanced the practice of nursing.
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a supervisor that describes how you have made a difference as outlined in the award criteria.
- Submit a résumé or CV that includes certifications, publications, and past and present leadership roles.
- Email the completed application, essay, résumé or CV, and letter of recommendation all together to email@example.com.
- OPTIONAL: You may also submit optional supporting material such as additional letters of recommendation and/or photographs of activities.
- All required information must be provided in order for the application to be considered. Applicants may be contacted by phone to confirm the authenticity of information submitted.
Scholarship Selection Process
A committee comprising Walden nursing faculty and staff will review applications and select the twelve scholarship recipients. The committee will focus on three areas when reviewing the essays:
- Passion: How have you shown your commitment to making positive change?
- Aspiration: How could earning your Walden degree help you continue on your path to being a more effective nursing advocate, leader, executive, or visionary?
- Creativity: How do you tell your story in a unique or innovative way?
All application materials must include the applicant’s name, email address, telephone number, and program of interest (BSN, MSN, DNP, or Ph.D. in Nursing). The committee members will make the final selection of the scholarship recipients, and their choices are final. Incomplete applications will not be forwarded to the selection committee.
- Application deadline July 21st , 2014
- Awards will be announced by August 21st, 2014
Scholarship Announcements and Publicity
Individuals who receive a Nurses of the Year scholarship must affirm that they are willing and able to participate in all publicity and marketing efforts promoting the program. Such publicity may include news releases and media advisories, local and national media coverage, media interviews and photos, and other similar public relations activities.
Individuals who participate must sign a release that allows Walden University to use the individual’s participation in the program for publicity purposes without limitation and states that all such materials remain the sole and exclusive property of Walden University.
Scholarship funds will be disbursed beginning in the student’s first term after being awarded the scholarship, and remaining funds will be applied toward the following term(s) until all funds have been used. For funds to be disbursed, the student’s records with the Office of Admissions must be complete, including the student’s official transcript.
Scholarship recipients who withdraw from the program or university, or change to another degree program, will no longer be eligible for this scholarship and will forfeit the scholarship. A formal Leave of Absence (LOA) does not constitute a withdrawal from the program. In order for scholarship funding to continue throughout the length of the program, recipients must meet the satisfactory academic progress criteria set forth by Walden University’s current catalog for the duration of their program. Should the scholarship be forfeited, students need not reimburse Walden for funds already disbursed to them.
* For programs that do not have start dates in the month the award begins, the award will apply to the next available term.
Walden University’s DNP, MSN, and BSN programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington, D.C. 20036, 1-202-887-6791. CCNE is a national accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and ensures the quality and integrity of baccalaureate and graduate education programs in preparing effective nurses. For students, accreditation signifies program innovation and continuous self-assessment.
|Do you want more information about financial aid?