In recognition of extraordinary accomplishments in public health, and to honor public health professionals, the Advancing Public Health Excellence (APEX) Scholarships will be awarded to individuals who have created positive social change by promoting healthier and safer local, national or international communities.
The APEX Scholarships recognize public health leaders who are enrolling as new students in Walden’s B.S. in Public Health, Master of Public Health (MPH), MS Health Education and Promotion, Doctor of Public Health (DrPH) or Ph.D. in Public Health programs for any start date from September through December 2014.* These scholarships will be awarded to prospective students who have created positive impact through their work in public health. The following scholarships will be awarded:
- Public Health Advocate—One full-tuition scholarship and two $10,000 scholarships to students in the B.S. in Public Health program
- Public Health Leader—One full-tuition scholarship and two $10,000 scholarships to students in the Master of Public Health (MPH) program
- Public Health Mentor—One full-tuition scholarship and two $10,000 scholarships to students in the MS Health Education and Promotion program
- Public Health Executive—One full-tuition and two $10,000 scholarships to students in the Doctor of Public Health (DrPH) program
- Public Health Visionary—One full-tuition scholarship and two $10,000 scholarships to students in the Ph.D. in Public Health program
To be eligible, you must:
- Be fully accepted into Walden’s B.S. in Public Health, MPH, MS in Health Education and Promotion, Doctor of Public Health (DrPH) or Ph.D. in Public Health program to ensure admission requirements can be met. These scholarships are not available to current students.
- Not received another merit-based Walden scholarship.
- Not be employed by Laureate Education, Inc. or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates.
- Call an enrollment advisor at 1-866-492-5336 to request an official scholarship application form.
- Submit an essay of no more than 1,000 words that describes how you have created positive social change and promoted healthier and safer local, national, or international communities.
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a supervisor that describes how you have made a difference as outlined in the award criteria.
- Submit a résumé or CV that includes certifications, publications, and past and present leadership roles.
- Email the completed application, essay, résumé or CV, and letter of recommendation all together to email@example.com.
- OPTIONAL: You may also submit optional supporting material such as additional letters of recommendation and/or photographs of activities.
- All required information must be provided in order for the application to be considered. Applicants may be contacted by phone to confirm the authenticity of information submitted.
Scholarship Selection Process
A committee comprising Walden public health faculty and staff will review applications and select the fifteen scholarship recipients. The committee will focus on three areas when reviewing the essays:
- Passion: How have you shown your commitment to making positive change?
- Aspiration: How could earning your B.S. in Public Health, MPH, MS in Health Education and Promotion, DrPH, or Ph.D. in Public Health at Walden help you continue on your path to being a more effective public health advocate, leader, mentor, executive, or visionary?
- Creativity: How do you tell your story in a unique or innovative way?
All application materials must include the applicant’s name, email address, telephone number, and program of interest (B.S.in Public Health, MPH, MS in Health Education and promotion, Doctor of Public Health (DrPH), or Ph.D. in Public Health). The committee members will make the final selection of the scholarship recipients, and their choices are final. Incomplete applications will not be forwarded to the selection committee.
Application deadline June 30th, 2014
Award will be announced by August 13th, 2014
Scholarship Announcements and Publicity
Individuals who receive an Advancing Public Health Excellence (APEX) scholarship must affirm that they are willing and able to participate in all publicity and marketing efforts promoting the program. Such publicity may include news releases and media advisories, local and national media coverage, media interviews and photos, and other similar public relations activities.
Individuals who participate must sign a release that allows Walden University to use the individual’s participation in the program for publicity purposes without limitation and states that all such materials remain the sole and exclusive property of Walden University.
Scholarship funds will be disbursed beginning in the student’s first term after being awarded the scholarship, and remaining funds will be applied toward the following term(s) until all funds have been used. For funds to be disbursed, the student’s records with the Office of Admissions must be complete, including the student’s official transcript.
Scholarship recipients who withdraw from the program or university, or change to another degree program, will no longer be eligible for this scholarship and will forfeit the scholarship. A formal Leave of Absence (LOA) does not constitute a withdrawal from the program. In order for scholarship funding to continue throughout the length of the program, recipients must meet the satisfactory academic progress criteria set forth by Walden University’s current catalog for the duration of their program. Should the scholarship be forfeited, students need not reimburse Walden for funds already disbursed to them.
*For programs that do not have start dates in the month the award begins, the award will apply to the next available term.
Questions and application materials must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Do you want more information about financial aid?