In the event you withdraw from or drop a course, the Office of Financial Aid must apply a formula established by the U.S. Department of Education, titled Return of Title IV Funds (R2T4), to determine the amount of federal financial you have earned as of your withdrawal date. The amount of the federal financial aid returned to federal aid programs is determined by the amount of time you spend in academically related activity.

You may trigger this calculation if you:

  • Withdraw from any course(s) in the term prior to the completion of 60% of the quarter/semester.
  • Stop engaging in academically related activities during the term, without officially withdrawing from the courses.
  • Withdraw to zero credits.
  • For consecutive enrollment within a term, withdraw from an earlier course with no confirmation of return in a later course.
  • For consecutive enrollment within a term, drop, not attend, or withdraw from a later course, even after the completion of an earlier course.
  • For consecutive enrollment, fail to participate in more than 60% of the term along with the failure to earn a passing grade in the last course in the term.
  • Fail to participate in more than 60% of the term along with failure to earn a passing grade in all courses attempted in the term.

Gain a better understanding of the Return of Title IV Funds process and how it affects your financial aid.

Prior to withdrawing, please contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine the amount of federal aid that must be returned. Federal student aid may not cover all unpaid charges due to the university upon your withdrawal.

Return Enrollment After Withdrawal

If you withdraw from a course in the first part of a term and remain registered for a course in the second part of a term, you will be asked to confirm that you plan to return. Federal rules do not allow Walden to rely on your previous registration if you withdraw from the first course. If you indicate that you will return, and you do not return, a Return of Title IV calculation will be processed using the earlier withdrawal date.

Example: Title IV Calculation

A doctoral degree student begins a quarter term on Dec. 6 that is scheduled to end on Feb. 27. On Jan. 16 (42 days into the term), she drops her classes.

Her cost of attendance is as follows:

  • Tuition $4,550
  • Fees $40
  • Total $4,590

Her financial aid package consists of:

  • Direct Subsidized Loan $3,980
  • Direct Unsubsidized Loan $2,820
  • Total $6,800

Amount refunded to student: $2,210

As the doctoral student has completed only 42 days of her semester, she earned 50% of the $6,800. According to the federally mandated calculation, 50% of the unearned portion of her aid—equaling $3,400—must be returned.

Walden is required to return the following:

  • Direct Subsidized Loan $580
  • Direct Unsubsidized Loan $2,820

After refunding the $3,400, the doctoral student will owe Walden $1,190.

The doctoral student is not eligible to receive a tuition refund because she dropped her classes after the refund period. A bursar hold is placed on her account, which prevents her from registering for any additional classes or from receiving transcripts until she repays the amount owed.

Refund Policy for Minnesota GI Bill Program (MN OHE GI Bill)

Minnesota GI Bill (MGIB) financial aid recipients who do not complete the required MGIB period of instruction may not be entitled to keep the full amount of MGIB financial aid disbursed to them.

Do you have questions about financial aid? If you haven’t yet applied to Walden, please contact an enrollment advisor at 1-866-492-5336 in the United States. If you are a current student, please contact a financial aid advisor at or call 1-800-WALDENU (1-800-925-3368).

Do you want more information about financial aid?   Request Information
  • Completing Your FAFSA

    Remember that Walden’s Title IV Code is 025042.

    Learn More