Putting Knowledge into Practice
Making a difference in your field requires more than theoretical knowledge. That’s why a number of our online degree programs feature a practicum, which provides an introduction to the practice of your profession.
Completing a practicum gives you clearly defined, real-world field experience in your area of interest, under the supervision of Walden faculty and an on-site supervisor. The exact components of your practicum will vary depending on your particular program, but each practicum experience is designed to provide you with:
- The opportunity to apply and integrate the knowledge acquired throughout your program.
- A real-world experience of direct practice.
- Mentoring from faculty and experts in your area of study.
- The chance to make a difference in your field.
- Proficiency with necessary skills for professional practice.
In some professions, field experiences are vital to building the skills needed to advance. That’s why a number of our online degree programs include a field-based, supervised internship. Longer and more intensive than a practicum, an internship offers a broader training experience with added responsibility so that you can develop the hands-on expertise you need to practice in your chosen field. You will work with Walden faculty to determine the most suitable site and type of internship experience that best match your interests. Your internship will enable you to:
- Apply the theory gained in your courses to a real-world setting of your choice.
- Further develop practical, professional skills in your field.
- Take on responsibilities that allow you to make a difference in the lives of others.
- Obtain the expertise and credentials necessary to further your career.
Is online higher education right for you? Request information or call 1-866-492-5336 in the United States or see a list of international phone numbers.