With a PhD in Human Services from Walden, you can be a leader in effecting change and addressing the needs of those struggling with illness, addiction, violence, and poverty.
There is a strong global need for social and human services professionals in government and nongovernmental organizations. Underserved populations across the world require a range of human and social services such as food aid, education, and housing.
As a professional in human and social services, you are committed to empowering your community. Through our PhD in Human Services degree program, you can deepen your impact to help others live more productive, fulfilling, and independent lives.
Combining action-oriented research with real-world experience, our PhD in Human Services program empowers you to promote positive change through effective policy and practice. Coursework emphasizes a holistic approach to human services, preparing you to help individuals, families, organizations, and communities navigate the social systems and other professionals available to them. These systems include healthcare, social work, financial aid, criminal justice, food aid, and housing. You learn to integrate and coordinate social services to better meet clients’ needs.
When you earn your PhD in Human Services degree, you can:
- Gain skills you can apply immediately, including cross-agency collaboration, professional networking, policy implementation, and global leadership competencies.
- Understand how to identify unmet needs and create solutions and programs to meet those needs.
- Benefit from the knowledge and experience of our expert faculty, who are all doctorally prepared.
Acquire the Professional Skills You Need
Customize Your Learning Path or Earn Your PhD Faster
You can adjust your learning to your needs by choosing a specialization that complements your interests and career goals, including an Advanced Customized option exclusive to our PhD program. In addition, you are eligible to enroll in the PhD in Human Services program with a bachelor’s degree or accelerate your progress if you have a master’s degree:
- If you enroll with a bachelor’s, you can also earn an MS in Human Services degree as you work toward your doctorate.
- If you enter the program with a master’s degree, you may be able to save time and money by transferring previously earned credits into this doctoral program. Learn more.
Find detailed information for this program, including possible occupations, completion rate, program costs, and median student loan debt.