In recognition of extraordinary accomplishments in public health, and to honor public health professionals during National Public Health Week, the Advancing Public Health Excellence (APEX) Scholarships will be awarded to individuals who have helped save lives and money while building healthier communities and creating positive social change through their work in public health.
The APEX Scholarships recognize public health leaders who are enrolling as new students in Walden’s B.S. in Public Health, Master of Public Health (M.P.H.), or Ph.D. in Public Health programs for any start date from September through December 2013.* These scholarships will be awarded to prospective students who have played a key role in promoting positive change by helping to save lives and money through a specific activity in their community. Prospective students must also demonstrate a return on investment (ROI) in one of five daily themes established by the American Public Health Association for National Public Health Week. The following scholarships will be awarded:
- Public Health Advocate—One full-tuition scholarship and two $10,000 scholarships to students in the B.S. in Public Health program
- Public Health Leader—One full-tuition scholarship and two $10,000 scholarships to students in the Master of Public Health (M.P.H.) program
- Public Health Visionary—One full-tuition scholarship and two $10,000 scholarships to students in the Ph.D. in Public Health program
*Only one tuition-reduction benefit may be applied to tuition.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be fully accepted into Walden’s B.S. in Public Health, M.P.H., or Ph.D. in Public Health program to ensure admission requirements can be met.
- Not have received another merit-based Walden scholarship.
To make sure you meet all eligibility requirements, contact an enrollment advisor at 1-866-492-5336.
- Submit an essay (see specifics below).
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a supervisor that describes how you have made a difference as outlined in the award criteria.
- Submit a résumé or CV that includes certifications, publications, and past and present leadership roles.
Scholarship Application Process
- Submit an essay of no more than 1,000 words that describes how you have saved lives and promoted positive social change in the field of public health while demonstrating ROI, as described in one of the following 2013 National Public Health Week themes:
- Ensuring a safe, healthy home for families
- Providing a safe environment for children at school
- Creating a healthy work environment
- Protecting people while they are on the move
- Empowering a health community
- In addition to the specific scholarship criteria outlined for the essay, the panel of judges will focus on three areas when reviewing the essays:
- Passion: How have you shown your commitment to making positive change?
- Aspiration: How could earning your B.S. in Public Health, M.P.H., or Ph.D. in Public Health at Walden help you continue on your path to being a more effective public health visionary, advocate, or leader?
- Creativity: How do you tell your story in a unique or innovative way?
All application materials must include the applicant’s name, email address, telephone number, and program of interest (B.S.in Public Health, M.P.H, Ph.D. in Public Health). Incomplete applications will not be forwarded to the selection committee.
By submitting your entry to Walden’s APEX Scholarships program, you grant Walden permission to use your essay for marketing purposes should you be admitted to a program.
Questions and application materials must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline June 28, 2013
Award announced on this website August 16, 2013
For programs that do not have start dates in the month the award begins, the award will apply to the next available term.