Program Director, Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA)
School of Management
Dr. John P. (Jack) McDonald specializes in executive coaching, strategy, marketing, and marketing research.
Dr. McDonald has more than 20 years of corporate and academic experience and is currently the program director for the Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA) program at Walden University. He is focused on developing innovative, reputable, and quality online programs that prepare business leaders to strategically manage organizations that compete globally in today’s dynamic business environment.
Prior to joining Walden University in 2012, Dr. McDonald was director of the EMBA program at Grand Canyon University, where he reviewed and revised curriculum, recruited adjunct faculty, and assisted in course development. He also taught undergraduate and graduate courses and created and advised the chapter of Collegiate DECA, which prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, and management.
Before entering higher education, Dr. McDonald held a variety of marketing and market research positions, including president and senior vice president of a nationally recognized market research firm that he started. He also held several senior-level marketing positions at a number of health insurance companies, where he played a major role in new product development, database marketing, and the implementation of strategic marketing communications plans.
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA), University of Kentucky, Lexington, Ky., 1981
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), Wayne State University, Detroit, Mich., 1976
- Bachelor of Science, Wayne State University, 1974
Areas of Expertise
- Experienced leader of C-suite strategy sessions to form new product lines and develop new brands.
- Integrated strategic planning and business experience into the classroom to help learners understand and appreciate the complexities involved in creating and executing strategy in organizations.
- Has B2B and B2C experience developing and implementing product portfolios, branding, and positioning solutions for national companies.
- Introduced and implemented online marketing initiatives from solely traditional marketing efforts in organizations.
- Has experience across several verticals, including healthcare, financial services, retail, automotive, and technology.
- Led and executed market research around brand equity, product development, strategy, and pricing.
- Developed new market research tools, simulators, dashboard reporting mechanisms, and secure client portals.
- Established mentoring program, career tracking, and 360-review process resulting in higher-skilled team members, higher employee satisfaction ratings, and lower attrition among targeted team members.
Becherer, R., Helms, M., & McDonald, J. (2012). “The Effect of Entrepreneurial Marketing on Outcome Goals in SMEs,” New England Journal of Entrepreneurship. 15: 1–12.
McDonald, J. (2010). “My Customers are Satisfied; Why are they Leaving?” Advancing the Cable Industry: From Customer Service to Customer Experience. C. Patti (Ed.). New York: CableFax Publishing.
McDonald, J. (2003). “Consumer Driven HealthCare,” Research World. 11: 22–23.
Lawrence, D., McDonald, J., & Redmond, A. (2001). “The Evolution of the Global Consumer Insight Capability,” Proceedings, European Society for Opinion and Marketing Research. Amsterdam: ESOMAR.
Jatulius, D., Meng, Y., McDonald, J., & Legorreta, A. (1997). “Satisfaction with Access to and Quality of Healthcare among Medicare Enrollees in a Health Maintenance Organization,” Western Journal of Medicine. 166: 242–247.
Horne, D., McDonald, J., & Williams, D. (1986). “Consumer Perceptions of Service Dimensions: Implications for Marketing Strategy,” Proceedings: Creativity in Services Marketing, Venkatesan, M., Schmalanse, D., and Marshall, C. (Eds.). Chicago: American Marketing Association. 35–39.
- American Marketing Association
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Council of American Survey Research Organizations (CASRO)